Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

This years "finds" or discoveries.

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by salthunter, Jan 24, 2021.

1. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Slow year for "finds"
    I found a couple decoys , one with their initials on the bottom,.. hung that at the ramp in a tree.
    Last week I set up on an open section of river , A decoy with a name ,.. no phone number. While glassing from the blind I could see 5 more decoys in the ice.

The cool find this year! a nice rod and reel. All the line stripped out, then I realized a beaver had placed it like a branch on its lodge.

And what is it with guys loosing shotgun shells,..

BigSkyDuk, Huck and Bclick like this.
  2. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Milo is a rock dog and I ran out of rocks.
    No sticks in sight so...

Farm4wildlife and salthunter like this.
  3. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Winter pool levels on our dam-controlled lakes and rivers are very low, and we've found some snagged fishing gear...more than usual this year.

salthunter likes this.
  4. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I found an antique solid cherry dining room table on the road not long ago.
    Heavy.
    Used to find all sorts of goodies then one day I found a boxer in a trash can. That's the last time I stop and look. You find weird stuff wrapped up in tarps. One day Bubba and I found one in the woods while hunting.
    "Wanna shoot it?" Bubba said.
    A young couple popped out .
    OMG.
    Thank God I said No.

salthunter and Fowler267 like this.
  5. toby

toby Elite Refuge Member

I hunt on a military base and the soldiers love to hunt and have time on their hands. When the Outdoor store on base would run a special on Hotbuy mallards I would find them everywhere. All with 2 to 3 feet of cord in 10 feet of water. They were used to shallow water and did not have boats. Now they have all gone to Walmart and bought small kayaks and I don’t find decoys anymore. Those hot buys were great for diver fill ins. Indestructible.

Sam Ortmann and salthunter like this.
  6. WaterFoulHunter

WaterFoulHunter Senior Refuge Member

One of my favorite finds one year, early in the season, was a like-new stainless thermos in a poacher’s blind on a buddy’s property. Used it all year and then accidentally left it in a NVR blind on closing Saturday. I always hoped some Sunday hunter used it before passing it on.

salthunter and partyfowl like this.
  7. NJ219bands

NJ219bands Refuge Member

Delaware River was at record flow for three days starting Christmas Day. A lot of “stuff “ was washed downriver to the tidal section where I hunt. Found two duck decoys on Reed’s Bay. The drake mallard had pellet holes but the Avery oversized drake black was like new. Sold some of the boat bumpers that I found in NJ salt marshes. Picked up > 13,000 golf balls and a driver from salt marshes near golf courses. Should I yell “FORE” before shooting? LOL

Attached Files:

salthunter likes this.
  8. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I found a kayak, paddle etc on a public spot today. Dragged a ways off of the creek and tied off to a tree. I assume some hunter used it with the current to get in then could not paddle upstream to get out.

Empty Skies likes this.
  9. Swampfoot

Swampfoot Senior Refuge Member

Found a nice slough that was reliable all season long. Also found where the wigeons want to be.

creedsduckman likes this.
  10. nobands

nobands Elite Refuge Member

Found out I'm not able to hoof it as far as I used to.