Thought I'd watch some goose hunting videos today...

Ruination

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
If you’ve got a gun that can float the fourth, and you don’t take advantage of it, shame on you.

I’ve watched a few of the newer goose videos lately. My biggest complaint is the blatant party hunting shown. How can groups of 10+ possibly keep track of who shot what??? Plus all the grown males hoopin and hollerin like tween girls. Geez. No wonder I hunt alone.

PS. When you hunt alone and are floating the fourth, pause after your first or third shots. It makes “a quick reload” sound more plausible.

I find it interesting that you have issue with party shooting but find breaking the law in regards to floating a shell acceptable.

creedsduckman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
creedsduckman speaks the truth that only a Sept. season waterfowler in Virginia could understand. Some will never know the answer to that age-old question of what in the world do you do with 10 Canada (or 25 snow) geese in a day! Answer: Get the breasting-out knife sharpened. Life goes on in the HAF (Historic Atlantic Flyway)!
I'd rather have the snows than the Sept Canadas. Unless they've been rooting in the marsh they are better eating. I'm not smart enough to stop shooting given the opportunity but I'd soon be looking at the pile scratching my head asking myself what I was thinking.

Soggy Socks

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I hate cleaning geese but love to hunt them. Usually a couple 3 guys can get a bunch done in a short amount of time. I had not been out since the first week was away on another hunt. Found some numbers last night got there early first three came in a little to my left I was able to turn on one. Big flock skirted me then game on they came in landed I got six out of the first flock then doubles and small groups came in. Ill stop at 10 I said. Nope dummy kept going ended at 14 went and got my dog and he found a sailor for my 15th. If I had buddies with me it could have been a record day. Then the cleaning! All in the freezer for sausage and pastrami kept some of the real small breasts for a pot roast kind of thing.
1663793143259.png

JohnDiver

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I find it interesting that you have issue with party shooting but find breaking the law in regards to floating a shell acceptable.
You know, I often think about this myself.

Party hunting just rubs me wrong. Shooting early too. And hunting over bait. And hunting out of season. And shooting an extra “oops” bird, or over the species limit.

Floating the fourth never really bothered me. Floating the fifth or sixth though would probably land on my list of no-go’s.

To be totally honest, I didn’t do it all the time and don’t hunt with a gun that can do it now. But there have been times when I knew I had one opportunity to shoot into one big group that was coming to the X all at once, and I made the most of it.

Also never thought hunting on Sundays was breaking the law before we could legally do it.

Blackduck

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
You know, I often think about this myself.

Party hunting just rubs me wrong. Shooting early too. And hunting over bait. And hunting out of season. And shooting an extra “oops” bird, or over the species limit.

Floating the fourth never really bothered me. Floating the fifth or sixth though would probably land on my list of no-go’s.

To be totally honest, I didn’t do it all the time and don’t hunt with a gun that can do it now. But there have been times when I knew I had one opportunity to shoot into one big group that was coming to the X all at once, and I made the most of it.

Also never thought hunting on Sundays was breaking the law before we could legally do it.
Funny how we all have a way of defining our own moral code differently.

If the limit is 6 each, I have no problem with 5 guys shooting until they have 30. As you say, you can't tell who killed what on most of the birds anyway. Making people hunt in smaller groups or to take turns shooting just adds to the pressure and burns the spot out faster. Around here we don't have enough ducks to do that.

If you’ve got a gun that can float the fourth, and you don’t take advantage of it, shame on you.

I’ve watched a few of the newer goose videos lately. My biggest complaint is the blatant party hunting shown. How can groups of 10+ possibly keep track of who shot what??? Plus all the grown males hoopin and hollerin like tween girls. Geez. No wonder I hunt alone.

PS. When you hunt alone and are floating the fourth, pause after your first or third shots. It makes “a quick reload” sound more plausible.

I observe that most guys who don't like "party hunting" hunt alone or with one, maybe two, buddies, no more. I speculate that most of the guys who don't like party hunting are somewhat anti-social.

If you are hunting the other side of the property and text me that you need two birds and then I bag them and meet you at the truck with them that isn't party hunting, that's poaching. If we are shoulder to shoulder in a blind and both shooting, does it really matter who's pellets are in the bird? Not to me, so party limit it shall be.

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
If all you want to do is shoot your gun, go to a trap range. I'm going to shoot my six ducks. If you keep shooting after hitting your limit, enjoy your ticket.

Some of us can’t help the fact we shoot poorly in a group.

riverrat47

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
When there is a wad of birds right in front of the blind and 3-4 hunters are going to the plug, it's rare that YOU know that THAT is your bird. When the birds are in the blind, then you can divvy them out or argue about who shot which bird, which usually happens with a band or mounted.
However, more times than not, blinds I've been in seemed to have one side hotter than the other. If some of the hunters have their limit, time to move over and unload...unless there is a chance for geese, but still give the other guys a chance. If not, take your ticket like a man, and don't expect me to claim any of your birds to save you.
Several times, a group I hunted with left the blind with close to a blind limit and half the guys hadn't fired a shot. If Mr. Green Jeans is watching, they have a pretty good idea who shot what, and an unfired gun IS a smoking gun. Of the many GWs I've hunted with, 100% say they will write blind limits every time. And, in today's world with camera evidence everywhere, possibly with the idiots in the blind themselves, it's even easier to prove.

Latest posts