Thought I'd watch some goose hunting videos today...

markd

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I don't really enjoy party hunting in big groups. But any group, be it 10 or 2, you better shoot better than the average if you want "your 6". Sometimes I'm better than average, most of the time really, but I've hunted with groups where I know I didn't get all of "mine". Oh well, need to miss less next time. If you want your six, and everyone else is done and you are at 4, we're going in and you're 2 short. We aren't waiting around busting into more birds because you're a bad shot.

You guys who hunt out west, different story perhaps. From my little experience out there, even on public I would wait for 1 prime drake each of 6 or 7 different species to build my limit. We don't have that luxury in the east, so we shoot a legal limit quick and leave and hope something else is left to attract more for next week.

I shoot terrible when in big groups, seems like I hardly ever kill a bird.......

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I shoot terrible when in big groups, seems like I hardly ever kill a bird.......
Same here. I just shoot and shoot while others are filling their straps. Often have to rely on the others to gift me birds at the end of a hunt. Sad to shoot three boxes of shells and only have 3-4 on my strap.

I can only assume it’s some sort of performance anxiety.

Porter Bayou

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I observe that most guys who don't like "party hunting" hunt alone or with one, maybe two, buddies, no more. I speculate that most of the guys who don't like party hunting are somewhat antianti-social.
Or perhaps they simply don't like dealing with all the extra BS that comes with hunting in large groups. I can shoot the crap with the best of them around the camp fire or back at the lodge and I'm pretty comfortable in just about any social situation. However, when I hunt I prefer to get in and out as efficiently and quickly as possible. The more people, the more crap that has to hauled around. You got a couple of guys that can actually call, a couple of guys that think they can. Guys that can shoot and guys that couldn't hit water if they fell out the boat. No thanks. I hunt to hunt. I can bs and tell duck hunting stories around the camp fire the other 305 days of the year.

Bullet21XD

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Same here. I just shoot and shoot while others are filling their straps. Often have to rely on the others to gift me birds at the end of a hunt. Sad to shoot three boxes of shells and only have 3-4 on my strap.

Beyond all that...I also really like hunting with others that like to blow their duck whistles.

Grif

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The more the merrier for me. I don't care how many folks we pile in when the getting is good......and, of course, we will all take turns shooting. :l :tu

BFG

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score

Some guys just like to hear their gun go bang.

Latest posts