Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Thought provoking

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by CAF, Mar 31, 2021.

1. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

SD controls out of staters by lottery and what parts of the state they can hunt. They could generate a lot more revenue if the opened the state to anyone during the season.

KENNEDY63 and Ruination like this.
  2. Sam Ortmann

Sam Ortmann Senior Refuge Member

I realize that it’s not all about raising revenue. But if I had to guess, a large slash in their OOS duck hunting revenue—which that combined with OOS pheasant hunting probably bring in the most money for them by far—would not be welcome or helpful by any means. Just because they don’t need to make more money doesn’t mean they can afford to make less, especially as a nonprofit government entity which is really only supposed to bring in just as much as they need to function and no more.
    Also you’re missing my point. If SD can afford to take the hit and still have enough money to operate while increasing hunting quality, more power to them. But the idea was billed as one to more equitably spread the cost of hunting and increase revenues by charging more to people who kill more. Which it just won’t do.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  3. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

Tags for ducks "sounds" great, but it's dumb and works against all of the current management models.

How many tags do you give people? Arkansas has one of the highest traditional averages of birds killed per season, at 14-16 per hunter per year.

So you hand out 15 tags? Then what...if you get on a hot day, you can use all 15? Or are you still limited to 6? And if you kill out, you can go get more tags...up to how many? A wealthy guy at a club could afford to go buy 1000 tags...can he do that? He's paying for the privilege...and killing 3x what the season max would be under a daily limit scenario.

Nope. Tags for ducks doesn't work unless you want to reduce the season/daily bag limits and restructure how those limits are established.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  4. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

I disagree (obviously) re tags making sense - but that's why we have these discussions.

5. KENNEDY63

You and I are both presently dealing in the world of assumptions.

My assumption is that, if the 20%'ers don't want to pay equitably for their take, there will be more than enough additional hunters picking up the licensing slack, and therefore broadening the overall license base, as that will free up more access, and reduce pressure on public ground.

I would like to see this applied at a state level first to see how it works.

6. KENNEDY63

Actually - my guess would be no.

Using pheasants as an example, South Dakota presently has a NR licensing system that allows you to buy as many 10 day (i.e. two 5 day periods) as you would like at $120.00 a crack. Daily limit 3 birds, possession 15. Using myself/our group as an example - and as one who hunts there frequently - the purchase of multiple tags is the least of our financial worries. Bottom line is that, much like in areas where leasing for waterfowl ground is prevalent, we have access to multiple properties that produce birds all season long.

That being said - NR license sales have decreased over the past few years as bird numbers have decreased. Fewer birds to shoot at = fewer license sales.

7. KENNEDY63

What "management models" does a tagging system "work against"?

The daily limit would still be the daily limit - I don't see how anything would need to be "restructured" - if anything, we will have more reliable national data on kill level and participation rates.

I would say 2 possession limits per license. That allows for multiple hunts where a daily limit might not be reached on each hunt. Going hunting the next day, only have 3 tags left and the daily limit is 6? Then you are either limited to 3 birds on the next days hunt unless you buy a new supply of tags.

8. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Under that program I would indeed quit. I won't tag ducks. It's absurd and goes against all economic principles while offering no biological advantage.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  9. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

That’s not how I see it working. You would get a possession limit of tags with a license so the casual hunter that shoot less than 18 ducks can sell his spare tags to a 20%er. Bag and species limits still apply. You can’t shoot 18 ducks a day. The opening weekend warrior shots 8 ducks and sells the rest of his tags so it his stamp actually costs less. Helps defray his costs.

10. KENNEDY63

I don't know if I would allow the tags to be sold - I would let them expire like an unused deer tag.