Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Thought provoking

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by CAF, Mar 31, 2021.

1. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

Oh well - more ducks for the 80%'ers then.

As to "market principles" - it's actually much more in line with the "market" than our current system. Hell - even game farm based European shoots limit the number of birds released per each shoot......

As to "biologic advantage" - that's a completely different animal - and (unless I am missing the point) I don't know that one system offers any significant "biologic advantage" over the other.

2. There.is.no.ST

There.is.no.ST Senior Refuge Member

A lot of birders do buy a duck stamp. There's at least one paper on it, which is why I used HIP numbers for my research rather than duck stamps sold in order to determine hunter numbers in a particular time frame.

3. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

The current adaptive harvest model isn't based on everyone killing 360 ducks per year...more like less than 10.

When you give people 24 tags, they are going to kill 24 ducks. Something about the perception in their brain is totally different; they will be fine with only killing 15 when the daily limit is 6, but if they have tags, they will want to "tag out". So now you will drive the average harvest per hunter above what the model has established, meaning either a shorter season or reduced daily limit or both.

Plus, you'll have the whole, "if you're giving me tags, why does it matter when I shoot them?" group who wants to have one day where they shoot 24 and then not hunt again all season, which again, drives up harvest numbers over the daily limit.

Plus, of course, the stomping of "trash ducks" to avoid tagging them, of which there is enough already. Which blows the reliability of the data right out of the water when a guy leaves a couple teal he shot early because a couple mallards showed up later. Or he and his buddies stack up a bunch of spoonies and toss them in a ditch on the way out so they don't get caught with untagged birds... Or the duck camps breast out more birds than get tagged... And I'm betting the wardens aren't going to be that excited about it either; some will...they will love to have another way to mess with people. But most I've met wouldn't.

No more ridiculous regs, no more self-imposed garbage that makes it harder.

Edit to add: This also doesn't acknowledge the guys who will want to hold out for particular species...i.e., shoot 24 canvasbacks, when they might have only killed 2 or 3 in a season shooting other species. So now you potentially have a disparate impact or disproportionate harvest on pintails, cans, etc. that are at population lows...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    OneShotBandit likes this.
  4. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. For a bit I thought you were serious.

5. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Kennedy, is this an April Fool prank or you indeed serious?

Holesinthesky likes this.
  6. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

The guy that buys a duck stamp but doesn't hunt should be allowed to sell or give his tags to whomever he wants.

This kind of reminds me of the supposedly true story of an outfitter in the heyday of the so. IL quota zone. Hearing that the feds were on the way to check his establishment, was busily recording hunter data. He told the guys to record a former client as having killed 6 geese that week. One of his employees piped up, "Boss, he died three weeks ago," to which the outfitter replied, "The hell he did. He killed 6 geese here this week."

rhpierce, nobands and GK1 like this.
  7. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Not sure about 'a lot', but yes, I am aware some number of non-hunters buy stamps. Still misses the point. I HAVE to buy a stamp to hunt waterfowl. My purchase supports waterfowl habitat.

I am TOTALLY in favor of having a 'access' stamp that isn't as expensive, for the purchase of entering State and Federal refuges that have been designated as being waterfowl production or resting sites. If there is no waterfowl habitat, no stamp needed. Nothing expensive. Say, $10 per calendar year.

hobbydog likes this.
  8. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

North Dakota did have a nonresident tagging system some 40 years ago or so. 10 days back then vs. 14 now. Zones driven by goose hunting not ducks. Much was in-place to slow the spread of leasing by nonresidents.

9. prairie hunter

Tag # matched your license #.

upload_2021-4-2_15-21-28.png

KENNEDY63 likes this.
  10. prairie hunter

Seems like nothing has changed from some 40 - 50 years ago.

Side note question: MN had a partial closure of their waterfowl season in 1976 ???

upload_2021-4-2_15-31-3.png

KENNEDY63 likes this.