Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Thought provoking

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by CAF, Mar 31, 2021.

1. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

Last time I looked there were roughly 1,500,000 duck stamps sold, and roughly 1,000,000 licenses duck hunters - so somebody is buying them.

I think his point is (and it's a fair one) - in order to hunts ducks (including on federal property), you need to buy a federal duck stamp - the same cannot be said of birders.

The downside as pointed out by another poster hereabouts is the more money that non-hunters kick into the kitty - the more say they will expect to have relative to the management of these federal lands - which could lead to further exclusions of consumptive activities on federal lands.

That has always been one of my beefs about various conservation orgs (such as pheasants forever) soliciting donations for land purchases, where the land purchased is then donated to the state - there is absolutely zero insurance that the state will not (without adequate restrictions on title) prohibit or limit hunting on the donated lands in the future.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    Rogue Hunter likes this.
  2. KENNEDY63

Dead serious my friend.

You kill you pay - seems pretty simple (if non-traditional).

3. KENNEDY63

Hunted NoDak in some of those years. The pass shooting lines for geese were insane.

But the duck hunting was phenomenal, with little to no posting.

4. Holesinthesky

Holesinthesky Senior Refuge Member

so to be fair, that everyone pays the same......
    1 Duck Stamp is good for 6 tags.
    Want to kill 8 ducks.... buy a another stamp at $25.
    Each stamp expires at the end of the day.
    Hunting 3 days, pay for 3 stamps.

that way everyone pays the same for what they kill.
    No advantage financially to the casual hunter ( who pays minimally into the other enterprises of the sport)

VS.

the guy who can hunt the entire season. ( who pays for things that support the sport...... licenses in multiple states, gas taxes for travel to those states, hotel rooms and tax, dining locations and tax, etc.......

:doh

riverrat47 and OneShotBandit like this.
  5. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

I was a young resident. Go figure ... my dad's friend quietly leased some pretty good goose hunting land in SE ND. He did so because of the MN guys that would come to ND to pass shoot geese.

No one hunted the center of ND back then. Duck hunting after opening weekend ... you would not see another hunter.

Annual weekend trip to DL region was fun. No scouting. Just set up 6 dozen decoys on private land we had permission to be on and killed geese.

6. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

I would start with a Guide stamp of say $500 and an Outfitter stamp should be tiered ... say $1000 - $10,000 based on land leased and guides employed. If they chose to pass it on to their sports - let 'em. Guides and outfitters are profiting from a natural resource and should pay a higher fee.

Any one caught guiding or outfitting without the required stamp would lose privelidge for 5 years.

ripline, Drake91, hobbydog and 2 others like this.
  7. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

What should commercial fishermen pay extra? What should airlines pay? What should ferries or water taxis pay? How much extra should you pay per mile if you commute to work? Where does it end?

8. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

K.I.S.S. is kinda beyond your comprehension, huh.

9. KENNEDY63

I still like the idea of 1 stamp = 1 or 2 possession limits - sounds easier to administer.

As to "things that support the sport" - gas taxes, hotel rooms and taxes, dining locations and tax - none of those "contribute to the sport". The only one that seems relevant is Pittman Robertson (i.e. the 11% excise tax) - and my assumption is that by broadening the participation base, any "funds lost" from guys who retire due to tagging will be made up by increasing numbers of, or use of the resource by, casual hunters.

Looking out 50 years - we can start discussing creative ways to ration now - or the government will do it for us.

Pick your poison.

10. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

OneShotBandit likes this.