Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Thought provoking

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by CAF, Mar 31, 2021.

1. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Because they are selfish old curmudgeons. Greatest thing about youth weekends is being able to take multiple kids hunting where there's normally not room. My kids hunted all they wanted while growing up, but of youth days we could take a few of their friends too. Some of them hunted before, and some never had. Some now hunt as adults and some don't, but they all have a positive view of the sport.

I always tried to get a parent to go on those hunts because that's where the whole youth thing hits a wall. If there's not significant support from a parent, the kid will have a tough time sticking with it.

2. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

Most kids today have to much going on to find interest in a sport that is slow paced like hunting. Compared with the pace of everyday life and what my friends are doing.

3. Mr. Chokesonducks

Mr. Chokesonducks Elite Refuge Member

In my experience, the adults are to blame. A majority of kids I’ve introduced to hunting have loved it. Of course, I like to start them out with clays, quail hunting, or duck hunting when I know it will be good. Much like a young dog, get them around a lot of birds and get them hooked.

Sam Ortmann likes this.
  4. labrador

labrador Senior Refuge Member

Some of you boys struggle with reading comprehension. I don't begrudge them days to shoot ducks before regular seasons start, not in the slightest. I simply pointed out that I don't believe this approach is the best way to create lifelong passion in young people.

5. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

If the parents don’t hunt... can’t blame them.

riverrat47 likes this.
  6. Mr. Chokesonducks

So a kid is just supposed to find his way into hunting? How many of us did that? I sure had mentors. Fact is, continuing our hunting heritage is up to responsible adults.

I’m not sure where you guys come up with this stuff.

7. Mr. Chokesonducks

Youth hunts can’t hurt getting kids hooked on our sport.

Sam Ortmann likes this.
  8. nobands

nobands Elite Refuge Member

I'll admit I haven't read the whole thread .
    I've introduced my own 2 kids plus about another dozen to hunting ,some stuck with it some not.
    I hunt about every weekend with a young man that I introduced to waterfowl as his father didn't.
    He treats me like my own son does.
    All have been good experiences for not only me but them also.
    I really have no problem with youth seasons, hell my kids killed bigger deer in it than they would have had during reg season, but it was a total hunt and they had passed hunter safety at 12 .
    The son was tagging along on turkey hunts at 5 he did kill one at age 8 , but only after he knew what it was all about.
    One thing that does disturb me is the kids I see going at a too young of age . I see kids as young as 5 killing deer and turkey, I really don't think a kid is or should be emotionally ready for that at that age .
    It's just for Dads bragging rights.
    The kid wasn't ever really a part of the "hunt"other than pulling a trigger. Hunting is a total experience, not just a result of a set up shot.
    My little rant is over .

9. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

I think "hate" is the wrong word.

The original intent behind youth waterfowl day(s) was/is to increase recruitment. It certainly appears that that has not panned out too well, as waterfowl hunter recruitment is in the tank. Right or wrong, there are a significant number of past and present waterfowl hunters that believe that such days "scare the ducks away", only benefit kids that would hunt anyway, and so on (and, to the other folks watching this thread - save the "well those guys are just selfish, dumb, etc. etc. comments).

As I alluded to earlier - IMO - every day of the season should be youth day - which would be exhibited by adults parking their guns and focusing on newbies throughout the season. If my own experience relative to running youth hunting only areas is any indication - that does not happen too often.

That being said - an interesting twist on the youth waterfowl day concept might be to can the YWD, and establish areas where only youths can hunt. More provoking thoughts.......

10. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

Would you be willing to "give up" your whole season to take out/mentor youths and other new hunters? I personally wouldn't see it as "giving up" anything, as the excitement for the kids/newbies, IMO, far exceeds the satisfaction for me to shoot a few more ducks.