Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Thought provoking

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by CAF, Mar 31, 2021.

1. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

I don't know how or where you hunt waterfowl, but my guess is that you hunt (at least some) on leased or owned private ground.

Would you and your duck camp partners be willing to NOT hunt your camp for a whole year, and only act as non-shooting guides for youth hunters, or adult newbies?

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

No

3. KENNEDY63

I really cannot explain why I believe that a tagging system or "pay to play" system in terms other than those that I have already used - so I guess that we are at an impasse on that subject, and will just have to agree to disagree.

And while I am not looking to become "Europe" relative to waterfowl hunting - at our current pace - we will be there soon enough. Participation is dropping for a reason, and nothing that we have done so far has turned that tide.

Lastly, as I stated earlier - relying/partnering with government with the belief that we will ALWAYS be able to hunt the pubic lands that we help acquire via our license fees, PR dollars, and out of pocket contributions is short sighted. Shame on us.

4. KENNEDY63

Thanks for the honest response. I don't think most would either.

5. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Nope. Will say that for the last 25 years there have been kids in my blind (not just my own) more days than not. In addition, it would take at least four hands to count the young hunters I've mentored who are still in the game. In my experience, youth days have done two things. First, they've allowed us the opportunity to get additional kids in a blind and, second, they've allowed them to hunt locations which are usually not available. Some stick, and some don't, but all will be forever supportive of the sport.

This year our youth days were the two Saturdays after duck season. I'd planned to go both times to cook and hang out, but the first Saturday we had 12 folks, and I gave up my spot. The weather turned pretty brutal the next week, so it was only the older kids. Ended up in my top five favorite days of the year.

Considering my youngest son is 20, and I've spent 9 months per year for the last several coaching youth trap (grades 4-12), I have a pretty good handle on our current crop of youngsters.

6. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

I started hunting on my own. My father gave up hunting long before I was born. I started real hunting (not killing squirrels with pellet rifle) at the age of 15 only real mentor I had was a brother in-law who taught me how to shoot a shot gun at flying targets but I always fished and enjoyed the outdoors so not a big transition back then. I have zero issues with youth days and have taken youths before and it’s a good time but 2-4 days a year hunting just can’t compete with all the other things kids have available the rest of the year. I agree whole hearted that it is up to sportsman to recruit more hunters.

riverrat47 and bill cooksey like this.