Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Thought provoking

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by CAF, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Sam Ortmann

Sam Ortmann Senior Refuge Member

I’m glad.
    And truthfully, we probably agree on a lot of things (gun control, economic policy, most foreign policy, the azzhatery of people my age, etc.) I just don’t find much entertainment or learning in talking about things I already agree on.

newduk and Ruination like this.
  2. Sam Ortmann

That was my suspicion but I haven’t looked at the raw numbers, so I wasn’t going to argue that point and was going to throw the “well my public spot is more crowded than ever and lease prices are through the roof” crowd a bone. My point is that even if numbers ARE rising it’s a moot point if it’s decreasing per capita cause our representation as part of the population is on the decline.

Billy Bob and bill cooksey like this.
  3. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

You miss the point (or I did not make it very well).

Here's an example of what I am talking about:

In order to hunt ducks, a hunter generally needs to have a federal duck stamp. As the law currently exists, 1 federal duck stamp = 1 season of duck hunting.

In order to equitably ration the cost of administering the resource, those who utilize it more should pay more. A simple way to accomplish this would be through the use of a tagging system - with every federal duck stamp comes x number of tags. Once the tags are used up - buy another duck stamp. This method would also add more certainty to annual harvest surveys, which in turn gives better base numbers for the scientific management of the resource.

In laymen's terms -we need to stop treating duck hunting like an all you can eat buffet, and instead charge by the meal.

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

I will go along with that, as soon as every person who visits a State or Federal Refuge has to purchase a duck stamp also.

5. Holesinthesky

Holesinthesky Senior Refuge Member

So Ducks stamps should be changed to daily.
    That way if you hunt 10 days out of 60. You pay $250.
    If another hunts 20 days. Then $500.

that seems to be fair.

Sam Ortmann likes this.
  6. Sam Ortmann

I understand your point, I just don’t think it’ll make much of difference in the funding end and only make things even more complex for duck hunters.
    A flat rate duck stamp allows the duck hunter who hunts 60 days a year and kills 360 ducks to capture a certain amount of consumer surplus, certainly. They use more than their fair share of the cost of the duck stamp. But it also captures the producer surplus that comes from those duck hunters that hunt two weekends a year and kill 8 ducks. By making a graduated duck stamp type scenario, you’re increasing administration costs and legal complexity but probably not having a significant impact on funding.
    Also, as with a graduated income tax, you very well might discourage further duck hunting and decrease funding. If I’ve already got some ducks in the freezer and most of the ones in the area have moved out or gotten stale and a new push hasn’t come in and my quota has been filled and I have to reup my license, I very well might save the stamp and gas money, driving time, and suffering spent in a cold swamp not shooting birds and just not buy another stamp for awhile. That’s money that’s not going to wildlife funding that would have if I had just bought the one time stamp at the beginning of the season.

me&mylab and Holesinthesky like this.
  7. fishnfool

fishnfool Elite Refuge Member

Wonder how much of that is a result of retirees becoming snowbirds. Probably not enough to balance out, but I can definitely see that having some impact.

riverrat47 likes this.
  8. KENNEDY63

While I agree with you - they are 2 separate issues.

Do you still run that coffee shop? If yes - do you have a program where I can pay $25.00 and drink 6 cups of every day of the coffee season?

9. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

Give Grif a rebate! Give Grif a rebate! Give Grif a rebate!

10. KENNEDY63

Not what I said, nor does it even come close to summarizing what I suggested, as my suggestion is based on "consumption" as opposed to just "being there".