Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Thought provoking

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by CAF, Mar 31, 2021.

1. BigSkyDuk

BigSkyDuk Elite Refuge Member

I suppose I’m just mystified by the notion that it’s a bad thing to get people into hunting. I know, more boots on less ground and all that but unless you were born wearing waders and carrying a shotgun somebody was kind enough to get you into hunting also. For most of us, myself included, that was my dad and extended family. I knew about duck hunting from as long as I can remember, and before I was allowed to come along I would “hunt” crows out of the crawl space hatch with my super soaker when Dad was hunting. I’m so very lucky, as is nearly everyone here, but not everyone out there had family to take them hunting. Everyone has a first time, and like many first times in life it’s always memorable—even if unspectacular :dv

My point is, on top of the pragmatic reasons why increased hunter numbers are a good thing, there is something a little unseemly about not passing on the kindness we all once received to be introduced to hunting. For many, the natural way is to pass it on to your kids. For others, it can be bringing a good friend or a youth, or even a family member who doesn’t hunt (or used to but hasn’t in a while). Yep, they might burn you on a spot—fact is someone was going to find it sooner or later anyway. But if they get hooked, they are a contributor to conservation and an advocate for the sport—both of which we desperately need.

2. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

I wonder if he shuffled on over to a company that said "pay your $100.00 up front and we will supply all of the shells that you need for the season". My guess is that his stint would be short there as well.

And I, too, work on habitat (albeit my guess is on a much smaller scale, and for no pay). Woods and prairie grasses are a reqarding hobby.

But back to leg tagging. Are you saying that, with a tagging system that requires those who shoot more ducks to buy more tags - you would quit? I wouldn't.

3. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

Great thoughts. I think that the really sad commentary is that we have introduced special government mandated youth days to accomplish just that.

On the pieces that I have managed exclusively for youth hunters, I would guess that no fewer then 90-100 kids have shot their 1st pheasant-turkey-deer, and all outside of any youth season. Pretty tough to get the adults to put their guns down.......

4. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I'll invoke the fifth regarding how I might deal with that. The truth remains that duck hunter numbers are declining, and it would be the height of stupidity to make it more difficult and expensive unless absolutely necessary.

5. ReaPeR105

ReaPeR105 Elite Refuge Member

. Quoting a rejection letter?:flame:dv

GK1 likes this.
  6. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Hunter numbers hit a hard peak around 2015.
    Season 6 of The Duck Commander?
    It was pretty nuts.
    Two camera crews on the lake I usually hunted alone for decades. Been a dwindling crowd ever since.
    They all go to Kansas I guess.

riverrat47 likes this.
  7. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

I agree 100 percent with the article. Our land mass stays the same....the amount of people on that same land continues to grow. Anybody over the age of 40 has seen the shopping malls, subdivisions, leasing and numerous other things that has changed a duck hunters path. A party is fun until it spills into the street. Anybody who thinks hunting In this country won't become a sport of "Kings" is a fool.

8. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Elite Refuge Member

I agree with you. Honestly though do we get a say in the hunting part though. Look at all the rules at some or the giant no hunting places. Idk. It’s all crappy at this point.

9. BigSkyDuk

BigSkyDuk Elite Refuge Member

Last year (I think) when the US FWS was directed to increase hunting opportunities on federal refuges the one near me decided to open up to turkey hunting. Like every federal agency decision, this was opened to public comment—I sent one in strongly in favor. Let me tell you, even here in Western Montana the public comments included a whole lot of squawking from the antis, including some who took the opportunity to recommend that not only should the turkey hunting proposal be nixed but that ALL existing hunting on that refuge be ended as well. Of course there were plenty of comments in favor of turkey hunting, but in my opinion the antis won in the end, as the area opened to turkey hunting is a small, isolated triangle of land across the river from the main refuge and accessible only via either private land or a small fishing access site. The refuge manager, in his statement on opening to turkey hunting, referenced the fact that providing hunting opportunities is one of the NWR system’s missions and that sportsmen and women pay the freight for these facilities through duck stamps and Pittman-Robertson taxes. I am convinced that if not for those two facts many refuges and wildlife management areas would bend to the antis and be closed to hunting forever. So to me the formula is simple: more hunters = more clout.

10. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Elite Refuge Member

So without hunters they’d be gone. I don’t see any bird watching stamp matching what hunters do money wise. Again I agree with u an it’s impossible to test with risking it all.

riverrat47, Sam Ortmann and BigSkyDuk like this.