Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Thought provoking

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by CAF, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Mr. Chokesonducks

Mr. Chokesonducks Elite Refuge Member

This is just a WAG but I surmise the “quality” of duck hunters has remained constant for 100 years. Hell, anecdotally, I see more younger hunters who are better shots n better at working birds than the old timers.....IMO, most of this issue is just selfishness

2. BigSkyDuk

BigSkyDuk Elite Refuge Member

Is it Opposite Day around here, ‘cause I agree with Chokes...

3. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

You live in your own little world, don't you? That facts are, more and more hunters are being crowded on to less and less acreage. Leasing is increasing that problem at an unbelievable rate. Hunters are already getting priced out of access and we are approaching critical mass. With much more increase of pressure on already crowded and over pressured lands people will quit. I personally know 9 hunters that have quit in the last 3 years. Why? Access and quality of hunting. Open areas here that would have 1 group a few times per week are now pressured by multiple groups daily. Opening day this past season there were 18 vehicles at a local marsh that has room for 5 groups at most. In the past there would be 6. After opening weekend the average day I checked it out there would be near double digit number of vehicles. The reason? Loss of access due to areas closing or being leased up. That marsh is literally 5 minutes from my house so my estimations are pretty close. To a man, every one of them complains about the same things, overcrowding and guys skybusting worse than ever because of the competition lowering the quality of hunting. Many have said if they can't find better hunting they will quit.

To put it words you may be able to understand, there simply isn't room for more hunters in many areas.

Drake91, Neighbor Guy and KENNEDY63 like this.
  4. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I NEVER agree w/COD on Politics, BUT on this (and duck calls/calling) I do agree! :D

bill cooksey likes this.
  5. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

Yea - the cost would not affect me either - I enjoy it too much.

As to hunter numbers - yes - waterfowl hunter numbers are declining - although I believe that the 'rona delivered higher numbers in our neck of the woods.

But why are hunter numbers declining? Cost? Access? Time?

We have gone the government mandated "special days for special people" route (i.e. YWD amongst others) - and it has failed miserably as a recruitment tool.

Today's hunters are more mobile, and have access to technology, clothing, etc. etc. that make it easier to apply more pressure to more birds and more habitat for an extended period of time. If a tagging system means that the retired or unemployed guy who hunts ducks daily (i.e. the guy that is part of the 20% shooting 80% of the birds) steps it back a bit re his public land forays, leaving more space and more birds for the casual weekend hunter, the casual weekend hunter stays with the sport.

On the flip side, if the science is right - more nesting habitat = more birds = more targets for more hunters.

The uptick in pressure and overall resource use that occurred during our pseudo-plague is a taste of things to come. If the 'rona has taught us anything - people are willing to spend money on their passions - and waterfowl hunting should be no different. IMO, unless we spend money or manage the resource to create a positive experience for as many as possible, the number of waterfowl hunters will continue to slide.

6. KENNEDY63

Small wonders never cease. :l

I wonder what would happen if North Dakota used such a system to control NR hunting pressure (as opposed to the ten day licenses)? I.e. - each license gets you 1 possession limit. Want to hunt NoDak more as an NR? buy another $100.00 NR license.....

Would be a good test case.....

7. KENNEDY63

That summarizes the crux of the issue in better words than I could put together.

8. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Makes no sense from a market, revenue or biological angle, but you do you. I'll go on record and say I'll never check ducks in the fashion you suggest.

OneShotBandit and Sam Ortmann like this.
  9. Sam Ortmann

Sam Ortmann Senior Refuge Member

But it won’t step back just his public land hunting. A lot of people everywhere, whether on public or private land, will be incentivized to hunt less. So harvest numbers are naturally decreasing right now due to poor bird hunting and you want to artificially decrease harvest numbers through increased financial cost, but you think we would gain more funding for hunting by linking revenue to total numbers of birds killed.

bill cooksey and Ruination like this.
  10. Sam Ortmann

Sam Ortmann Senior Refuge Member

The South Dakota conservation department or fish and game or DNR, whoever controls the wildlife, would lose A LOT of money. Out of staters would simply not go there in the numbers they do now and the ones that did go would kill a lot less ducks. All that revenue would be lost.

Holesinthesky and OneShotBandit like this.