Tick bites on dog

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by woodiefanatic, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Lmbkiller

Lmbkiller Senior Refuge Member

The basic test they administer is worthless at the very least and complete misinformation at the worst, when in doubt get the doxy out

2. Shirleyshusband

Shirleyshusband Elite Refuge Member

Goose is on Doxy now. About 4 days left.

Also something going on with his eye. It is weeping. A little worse each day. On day three I took him to vet....again. she couldn't find anything wrong. Now he's getting three drops, three times a day. It hasn't got worse. She wants to see him again Monday.
    With all the pheasant hunting we do, I'm guessing something is stuck in there.

3. road kill

road kill Senior Refuge Member

Shirlyshusband,
    It could be a scratch on the eye too.
    Elvis has had a few.

Good luck!

Stan b

4. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

Could be a grass awn. I pulled 2 out of one eye and one from the other from one of my dogs a couple weeks ago after pheasant hunting. If that’s what it is, could be bad. That was on state land and not sure why they would intentionally plant it, but they do.

Stan- If you’re hunting where I pointed you in the direction of, watch out for grass awns in that area. I won’t go back there with as many as I came across. Glad you’re getting out though!

A grass awn is a grass seed of various varieties that still is in a sheath, foxtail and Canadian rye are 2 I see a lot. A dog can inhale, ingest or they can go through the skin from outside, as well as eyes and ears. The sheath is barbed and starts traveling through the body until it hits bone, then becomes infected. Could be removed by surgery or could have deflected by the time they operate and it’ll keep traveling. One of my dogs sisters inhaled one and it lodged in her spine. After 18 months and about $10k it finally got fixed. My dog, Otis had one come through his skin and get lodged on a rib bone. That one was easy to fix but was still $1500+ to do so.

road kill likes this.
  5. Lmbkiller

Lmbkiller Senior Refuge Member

If I got a dollar for every seed that I got out from underneath a dogs third eyelid I would have about $20. Seems like eye issues are more often that than anything else I encounter

road kill likes this.
  6. ripline

ripline Elite Refuge Member

Our little female "B" had an ulcerated eye this past spring. She was on drops for nearly two months before it finally healed. Eye injuries can be terribly difficult to heal.
    Shirleyshusband, watch out for blasto as well if it persists.

road kill likes this.
  7. Shirleyshusband

Thanks for the tips guys.
    We're watching him closely. It doesn't seem to be bothering him. Its only tearing from the front of one eye. The vet did inspect his gums. They're okay.

Scary stuff! We're taking a couple days off from hunting, hope that helps.

ripline and road kill like this.
  8. Shirleyshusband

Went to the vet for follow up. All clear! :amen

road kill and ripline like this.