California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Time To Stop Hunting Ducks So Much?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by DuckFan, Feb 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wood-Dro

Wood-Dro Elite Refuge Member

Don't know about the rest of you, but the hunting is waaaaay better than it was in the 80's and early 90's. See way more ducks and the number of geese is mind boggling.

2. Wood-Dro

Wood-Dro Elite Refuge Member

Okay Commi! Talk about an idiotic statement there Putin!

freefall and Refugeguy like this.
  3. thekillerofmallard

thekillerofmallard Elite Refuge Member

Its the same limit them to 25 shells they will quit sky scraping.:dv:dv:dv just made most better smugglers from what I hear.:doh

4. chubby

chubby Elite Refuge Member

Rest assured, with this new administration the price of everything will be going up.

5. Ajnorcal

Ajnorcal Senior Refuge Member

Wow, you’re out of touch. Some guys want to go hunting, not just do it occasionally when it’s good. Pressure is bad, loss of opportunity is worse. And the ammo thing, give me a break, the 2A is already under attack we don’t need to attack it ourselves.

freefall, Calikev and Wood-Dro like this.
  6. Tomstoswans486

Tomstoswans486 Refuge Member

Pressure absolutely affects birds. Not only humans - but mother nature. I have a great roost hole near a swamp I hunt; there was really bad flooding in November, I hunted it the next week and saw 10% of the normal birds. A few weeks later they were back. It's SURVIVAL - they're not stupid animals.

Now, what's happened over the last 100 years? The population in the US and Canada have exploded, more and more people became middle class, more and more people bought nicer things, bigger houses, wanted to travel, bought bigger cars, and ate more steak and less farm slaughtered oppossum. Supply and demand created bigger farms, bigger ranches, more powerful equipment, and the production of gas-powered equipment expedited the US and the World into the technologically innovative World we live in today. Innovation drove efficiency.

This affected landscapes - it changed habitats, it ruined habitats. Less marsh, less pairie. Look at the population of the Pintail. Overhunting and market gunners and fashion of bird features almost drove birds extinct, like the wood duck - which in my parts is doing extremely well.

All of this in turn put the emphasis on human comfort and less on natures. Population increased, water quality decreases, places like Seminole lake and Back bay and now ghost towns from what they were, it wasn't pressure, it's FOOD, it's quality. Humans have done this - birds have one instinct - to survive; they will not go where there isn't food, and they won't travel if they don't have to. All of this MIGHT have caused green house gases and 'global warming' - I don't know. I believe the bigger hand in this, God Almighty, has a better pulse than scientists do. Just my personal belief - since the beginning of Earth we've had warming periods, cool periods, ice ages, fires. Maybe we're in an odd cycle that may take centuries to go back to "big northern storms and cold". Who knows? But I truly believe climate - and food, have altered migration from what it was. More so than pressure. And it's not DU's fault, in fact - if you're a duck hunter you better support DU and Delta - because without them we'd really have crap to deal with. Maybe you don't like their priorities, but they truly are looking out for the species we love.

My point is there is not one single situation to the "bird problem of today" - it's not only pressure, that's a component. And if managed correctly, you'll have birds too shoot and hopefully some good hunts! God bless, and let's get em next season.

patmiddus likes this.
  7. Dakillaofnada

Dakillaofnada Elite Refuge Member

over hunting Pintail by market hunting is not the issue. Farming practices in the PPR is the problem and the lack of adaptability of a species to relocate effectively in dry years. They are also a pretty finicky nester, timing has to be correct as well with thaw and temps. Someone else can elaborate on that if i am incorrect. Market hunting was all but outlawed by the 30's.. Some of the Pintail population highest points were in the 70's.. We have more sprig in California than we know what to do with.. we have had restrictive limits going back to 1985 i believe (limit went to 4 from 7) and then to 1 in 1988 with shortened seasons, seasons where sprig were closed during a portion of the season, seasons where we had 2 and even one season of 3 back in the late 90s. We have more often than not been at a 1 bird season for more 30 years.. It has had no effect on population rebounds.. it all has to do with breeding habitat, timing and conditions on the prairie.

Specialbelly and Calikev like this.
  8. Spoonie16

Spoonie16 Senior Refuge Member

Number of days should not be touched...shortening the season won't accomplish anything. A re-structuring, maybe, but no reduction.

Eliminate the walk of shame. 25 shells...PERIOD.

patmiddus likes this.
  9. Speckslayer

Speckslayer Elite Refuge Member

Interesting...there are places to hunt but people would rather stand in the parking lot than go hunt? If this is true, then turning those free roam areas into blinds or A/P would also get more people into those areas. Wherever that refuge is, the hunters have spoken and there is obviously too much free roam and not enough blinds/AP. Give the hunters what they want.

Sorry Kev, couldn't resist. (obviously making better habitat all over the refuge would also be a good thing...if they have the money to do it... which I doubt)

10. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

Free roam hunters get a vote too Kevin. Check the surveys as there is a % of guys who still prefer that. It also tends to be where one can go and actually get on because guys aren't willing to go through the work or deal with the dynamics of it.

There is no question that many guys prefer AP's. If you lock one down it can be great. However, the problem is maximizing the quota. When 1 guy takes up a unit that used to hold several you lose opportunity. The same with blinds. If you are talking about opening up new areas and making them AP's or blinds then we will take the expanded opportunity. However, converting free roam to AP's doesn't expand quotas like Managers try to say it does. There are just too many times the max number of people allowed into a place isn't met.

That is one reason I like the way West Bear Creek does it. They fill a quota with people and not a party. Many AP's in the Sac Valley just allow a party. So if you are one or four it doesn't matter you are one party and there goes 3 slots in the quota gone. The more of these areas that are like that then the more likely you are to be well short of the quota.

Oh and yes..........the focus should be better habitat. It doesn't cost much extra to do some simple things. It just takes a Management shift. For abatement costs that is another subject.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.