California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Time To Stop Hunting Ducks So Much?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by DuckFan, Feb 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Yes local hatch and production is a major factor and a heavier lift than others even. Okay we solve Klamath basin water problems. How much? $1 million annually - wells and power. $1 million annually to improve habitat suitable for nesting and brood rearing and molt.
    Then have very few mallards left due to botch of this past summer and mallards don't migrate this far south. Going to take several years to rebound numbers. So drop limit to 2, 1 hen. After 10 years may see significant improvement in numbers.

Balance of state. Incentivize farmers to leave crops in field longer, grow crops that have better brood survival, pay mosquito abatement costs. More late grains, harder for predators to find and destroy nests.

Other suggestion is all this habitat work being done by CWA and DU needs to be brood work and have requirement it is flooded through June.

To make meaningful increases in duck production will not be cheap and not sure there is enough capital to make it happen. Then it is figure out what is doable and fashion a budget from that end.

Unless your definition a few bucks is few hundred, that won't make a dent.
    Minimum IMHO to start making a difference is $5 million.

2. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

The Presley Program is already in place and with additional funding will help stabilize dwindling nesting numbers.

https://wildlife.ca.gov/Lands/CWHP/Private-Lands-Programs

Our biggest challenge right now is the loss of molting birds with LK being bone dry and all those birds crowding onto Tulelake. Last year that resulted in a huge die off everyone is aware of. However, what folks do not see is the hidden impact of all those birds trying to molt in other areas across the State that don't offer what LK did. So some of those birds get picked off by predators. What we do not know is how many?

So we cannot overemphasize how important it is to get water back to LK again. It is one of the most critical wetlands in the PF that has been allowed to go dry for reasons better left for other threads.

3. DuckFan

DuckFan Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for bringing that up Kev. Great program. I have seen it in action and has a positive effect.

Calikev likes this.
  4. Speckslayer

Speckslayer Elite Refuge Member

Odds of getting Tule/LK returned to it's glory days isn't likely IMO. Many of you have argued against shipping water south to farm in a desert (nor cal water being used to grow nuts in so cal) and instead want the water to stay in the river to protect fish. Tule/LK is the same thing.

Pumping can help but even with unlimited money, SGMA would soon prevent them from pumping enough water to keep the place full.

Refugeguy likes this.
  5. Ajnorcal

Ajnorcal Senior Refuge Member

I have, I’ve hunted it, the place is absolutely massive, and has a much lower hunter per acre average than any refuge, except maybe Frank’s

freefall likes this.
  6. BandedBrant

BandedBrant Senior Refuge Member

hunting pressure no doubt can influence your hunt

I do believe that first and foremost you should be able to hunt your land whenever you want. There is no way to tell someone who owns the duck club when and how often they can shoot it. It’s what makes our country so great.

I always have a problem with people telling others how to live their life. Kinda like the animals lovers wanting to ban hunting because they don’t agree with it.

if you want to stop hunting ducks so much than please go ahead but don’t tell other people what todo with their land and how much pressure to apply. My best hunt days are off days when nowon is in the marsh.

if your club applies to much pressure then the birds will leave. If you club is next to a sanctuary than you might be able to get away with more pressure

it’s like the state of California trying to regulate insurance rates in a free market. The insurance companies end up leaving the state. Same with the ducks you don’t have to regulate the duck pressure because they will just leave and go to the club a couple doors down. You have the option in a free market to mange your club however you want to.

BR Gunner07 and Tommyo like this.
  7. yellowlabhunter

yellowlabhunter Elite Refuge Member

The horse is dead, please no more beating...

Flyfisher and Refugeguy like this.
  8. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

There are some on here who fit that bill all too well. The D baggery and unethical practices that take place out there on a daily basis blows my mind & I’m no stranger to the D. Those types are a far cry from what I’d call a “hunter” yet they sure portray themselves to be so...

9. marsh-mello

marsh-mello Elite Refuge Member

OUCH! Someone's keyboard here is burning!:eek:

10. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I'm on the opposite side of the fence.
    One year 50k mallards dropped dead at Chataqua from cholera. We should have killed and ate them in November but...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.