California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Time To Stop Hunting Ducks So Much?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by DuckFan, Feb 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ajnorcal

Ajnorcal Senior Refuge Member

I never even said the delta was good hahahah. I said the average hunter per acre was less than a typical refuge where you could have 8 groups in a pond. And my main point was we shouldn’t restrict access on the delta to shoot days.

Another Mike likes this.
  2. Another Mike

Another Mike Elite Refuge Member

Neither did I. :l

You mentioned one and I elaborated on similar ones.....all of which, can be as crowed as any given refuge.

3. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

I’ve got an over priced , under powered , leaky Tracker...

yellowlabhunter likes this.
  4. yellowlabhunter

yellowlabhunter Elite Refuge Member

Should have gotten a Ranger:grvn

Refugeguy and freefall like this.
  5. CalBaer

CalBaer Elite Refuge Member

Read an article recently by Chris Nicolai of Delta Waterfowl. Think it was a DU online article. AHM was first implemented in 1995. The duck harvest regulations under AHM allow for a target harvest of 14%. However, we only get to 10%. I’ve been trying to locate the article but have been unsuccessful. Waterfowl are the most studied species in North America and easily get the most funding.

Many of us decry the regs process when biologists aren’t allowed to do their jobs because emotional voters and elected office holders bypass science and outlaw hunting (mountain lions, bobcats, bears with hounds, etc). So it’s alarming to read fellow hunters among us advocating for feel good science. Your feelings don’t change the facts. Regardless of resident nesting success and the migratory population, which may fluctuate based on seasonal weather and habitat, we still only harvest 10% of the ducks.

Give me the maximum days. I’ll determine when I want to go when my schedule allows. I’m already getting jammed up next November because of a wedding. And perhaps multiple bachelor parties. But I’m still going to get my days in. I’ll just have to hunt more before and after the big day. Fortunately, AHM will allow me to do so. One date on the table is Veteran’s Day Weekend. That is a no-no. :z And yeah, not all of my friends are duck hunters. Perhaps that’s why we are such good friends. He’s a golfer. :jokerGave that sport up when I started having children.

Just got text....wedding is booked for 11/20. Crisis averted.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    Tommyo likes this.
  6. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

I may have hit a solid submerged object at full throttle causing a minor leak :dv

yellowlabhunter likes this.
  7. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

I’ve kind of seen it....Wister doesn’t post numbers for blind sites because all the regulars were sand bagging their birds so much

JRS, API and freefall like this.
  8. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator

Aw shucks.

9. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

I would imagine it would slow down the check in process as guys would be asking staff what choice they should make.

10. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

Not really....they just shrug their shoulders for the most part and say hurry up.

Wish it was like that everywhere. Love people looking clueless when it’s their turn

JRS likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.