Tinnitus

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Squaller, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Have it... Do not like it. Mine pretty much sounds like the Emergency Broadcast System...

It coincidentally occurred after getting bit by a tick and having other symptoms, so I have had a complete workup on everything... I also recently had hernia surgery (although the symptoms started before the surgery, they have increased since).

The tinnitus has worsened to a degree that it is quite aggravating... And after going to an audiologist, there is nothing that can be done (which is what I had already basically read doing my own research)... Her best advice is to wear more hearing protection when I shoot (she was smart enough NOT to tell me to give up shooting).

I was a bit surprised at how little the audiologist knew about commercial shooting protection, and had not even heard of the electronic protection (such as Walker's).

Basically in my case it looks like the cause is repetitive loud noises (i.e. shooting), and damage done at younger years can strike in latter years, long after exposure to the sounds actually took place. WEAR YOUR HEARING PROTECTION.

JP, 3labman, callinfowl and 4 others like this.
  2. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Yep it sucks.... my ears ring 24/7. I hear no high pitched noises.

Mean Gene likes this.
  3. fishnfool

fishnfool Elite Refuge Member

Luckily I was a pretty lousy duck hunter in my younger years so I wasn't exposed to that much shooting, but I've definitely done some without protection. I used to love heavy metal concerts as a teen as well.

From mid twenties onwards I've been pretty dilligent with hearing protection when hunting, shooting, mowing the lawn, or operating any power tools. I even wear them when hammering nails at the cabin. I work around a lot of loud equipment at work and don't walk on a jobsite without plugs or muffs.

I get tested every year, and so far so good at 37, but I'm always worried about the damage I did when younger. Fingers crossed.

Vahunter likes this.
  4. take'm

take'm Elite Refuge Member

I get high pitched ringing every now and then. 15 years ago I went to the ear dr because I was going to lose my mind over it! 24/7 ringing, not loud but always there!
    Not sure what changed but it definitely is not an issue for me anymore??

No complaints since it went away!!!

5. Allan

Allan Elite Refuge Member

I’ve had tinnitus, as well as noticeable hearing loss since college. My appointment with the Costco audiologist happens to be tomorrow.

Shooting, loud music and competition duck and goose calling all contributed to my situation.

My ears always ring, sometimes more than others, like right now for instance. Definitely sucks.

cacklercrazy likes this.
  6. 15thTN

15thTN Elite Refuge Member

Nothing worse than riding a tractor (without cab) all day and suffering all night with your ears screaming so much your head feels like it's vibrating. I got so sick of it after I got into mowing yards that I ponied up and bought the radio ear muffs. Any time I'm on any equipment I wear them, and doing any target practice I wear the electronic muffs. Don't wear them hunting though. They get hot in the summer but I've slowed my hearing loss. My dad doesn't wear anything and he's getting hard of hearing.

cacklercrazy likes this.
  7. JRS

JRS Elite Refuge Member

Fortunately, you do eventually get used to it. (Still hate it.)

pud123 and creedsduckman like this.
  8. Wareagle1

Wareagle1 Elite Refuge Member

This

Background noises during a conversation and dead quiet times are the worst for me

9. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

Yep, it's been my unwanted companion for at least 15 years. Here is what I do

1 - no aspirin, seems to aggrevate it.
    2 - a real good set of custom poured ear plugs, always wear when hunting now
    3 - high quality hearing aids (Resound) custom set to shut off at 95db, also have white noise capability that sometimes helps with the ringing
    4 - supressors for rifles. .22 is now BB gun loud, center fire is 35db quieter and boom right off the end of barrel is gone. Toying with getting one for the shotgun, but a lot more variables here than a rifle.
    5 - tried just about every over the counter supplement and have yet to see one that works

Mean Gene and widgeon like this.
  10. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Yep background noise is a killer.

JRS likes this.