Tinnitus

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Squaller, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Vammy

Vammy Senior Refuge Member

As others have mentioned, I’ve had Tinnitus for so long I can’t remember not having it. Right ear is worse (or different pitch) than left ear. All the Usual suspects have contributed. I’m used to it; it doesn’t affect my sleep, but passengers in my truck should say “hey” to start a sentence or I won’t hear half of what you said :l

Mean Gene, Wareagle1 and Allan like this.
  2. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

Tinnitus is one of the reasons that I can't fall to sleep. I've tried the noise machines, they help a little but the best thing is listening to the radio or TV. I can't hear any high pitch noises, my last ear test was many years ago, and the lady giving it to me stopped the test and asked me if I was joking...."nope haven't heard a damn thing turn it up". She told me that she tests Vet's that have better hearing than me..do I win a prize? I can't hear womens voices when there is background noise and it's hard for me to understand voices on the TV or in the movies.
    I'm turning into my Father, which scares the s*** out'ah me. :l:l:l

Allan likes this.
  3. Ducker 4 Ever

Ducker 4 Ever Elite Refuge Member

I've always wore hearing protection while hunting/shooting. If I don't wear it, my ears will ring for two days from one 12 ga shotgun blast.

Fortunately for me, when I hunt or shoot, if I don't have hearing protection in, I feel tremendously uncomfortable. Similar feeling to driving my car without my seatbelt. It's a good thing that keeps me putting my hearing protection in.

4. Biggar2000

Biggar2000 Senior Refuge Member

Suffered for years 30 plus. It’s ringing as I type. And I am married to a speech pathologist/audiologist, I have tried every dam thing out there. I guided, I ran chainsaws, I went to concerts. I use custom plugs for years now just helps for flinching. I had her office check me a few years ago, same thing girl comes in booth and asked are you not hearing this? We ride in the car wife says honey your talking loud! If you have something that helps let’s hear it.

5. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

My wife always tells me to stop yelling, I don't think I'm yelling.:z

Manoduk and Squaller like this.
  6. NWRINGNECK

NWRINGNECK Elite Refuge Member

3D8A6823-9576-43B4-85DA-A27D2D7CE7A4.jpeg
    I’m at this stage now. :-(

I’ve been suffering for the last 50 years. Most of the time it’s just a pia buzzing but some times I hear canarys singing. :)

Wareagle1, callinfowl and Squaller like this.
  7. JRS

JRS Elite Refuge Member

I couldn’t hear women before the ringing started?

8. Biggar2000

Biggar2000 Senior Refuge Member

Awesome hear it all the time. Honey you’re yelling at the dog. Heck I’m just calling her from the back of the house. Wife says she’s a lab she can hear you whisper, you just can’t hear yourself. Daughter and son, dad you’re talking loud. In the movie with wife she whispers to me hell I have no idea what she’s saying. Sadly I say just text me. No one has said hearing aids help. I have asked several guys.

9. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I appreciate the replies... When I asked if there was anything I could do, I was given a list of therapists that deal with emotional counseling for people that "go crazy" due to tinnitus... Told her I was already a bit nutz before this began, and there probably is not enough therapy in the world that could help me.

If anything, I think the wife is ready for therapy... I already had selective hearing, and now the higher pitched voices of the wife and kids are genuinely difficult to hear. The wife is like "why do you have the volume on the TV set at 85?

newduk likes this.
  10. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I was fine until this damn thread reminded me I had it and cranked up the volume.