Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Tinnitus

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Squaller, Aug 7, 2019.

1. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

Don't confuse help with the ringing with help with hearing.

Frenchy in AK, Squaller and Vahunter like this.
  2. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

I have to run the central AC fan at night so I can sleep.

Actually, I've heard, hearing aids will make tinnitus go away completely in some people.

widgeon likes this.
  3. Crow Creek

Crow Creek Senior Refuge Member

Try CBD oil. I know, I know, they say that stuff cures everything, but, I've got constant pressure in my ears from Eustachian Tube problems and the CBD oil helped relive my issues. I would try it, if it doesn't work you're only out what you paid for the oil.

widgeon likes this.
  4. 15thTN

15thTN Elite Refuge Member

One thing that helps mine is cutting metal with my skil saw.

Lip Shooter, Squaller and widgeon like this.
  5. Vahunter

Vahunter Elite Refuge Member

That's right. Hearing loss almost always goes with tinnitis. Hearing loss they're getting better and better at fixing. DO NOT go cheap on hearing aids. You get what you pay for.

6. The Flying Duckman

The Flying Duckman Refuge Member

I have tinnitus bad! Years of hunting without protection, years in the welding industry running grinders and saws, then the power washing industry. Mine is almost maddening! Like some have said, multiple people talking is impossible for me to hear, and a quite room is insane. I go to sleep at night with head phones on music playing to help drown out the ringing. Watching tv and any back ground noise in the house and I can't hear the tv. Take care of your hearing, experience talking here. Looking into hearing aids now, doing my due diligence on brands, welcome any suggestions.

7. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

I'll echo what VAHunter said, get the best hearing aids you can afford.

As I understand it, and have seen it play out personally, some hearing loss is permanent and will never return. But other frequencies are masked by the tinnitus and if they stay masked long enough your brain shuts off those circuits so to speak. Once you are able to either amplify those frequencies or turn down the tinnitus those frequency circuits are reopened by the brain. I am now hearing frequencies without the hearing aids (to be honest, not hearing them well, but hearing them nonetheless).

An example from today. I have a quail pen. A couple years ago I could see the Bobs sitting up whistling, but could hear nothing (which was sorta a last straw for me and made me follow up and get the hearing aids). Now, after a year and the mental reset that occurred, I can hear one of the notes of Bob-white without them in, from across the yard. If I walk up close I can hear both notes. And with the hearing aids in I can hear my Bobs full repetoire from across the yard. It might be a little thing, but quail calling is one of my "happy places"!

Vahunter, Allan and JRS like this.
  8. Allan

Allan Elite Refuge Member

Ok, since you asked, and I think it’s important to a group of shooters for reference. I was diagnosed with Severe to Profound hearing loss in both ears. I had wanted ‘in the canal aids’, but the tech said no can do, I was well past that. OK, so I ordered a pair of Kirkland Signature 9.0’s.

Wore them for @ 10 minutes for a test in store. Certainly heard better. These cost $1500 per pair, which is significantly less than other options. He told me he or anyone could sell me in the canal aids, but they would only take my money with no positive benefits.

I have 180 days to try them out. Get them in about 2 weeks.

He did say that he did not recommend them for the shooting sports, but I took that to mean any more shooting was only going to worsen my hearing. I get that. Even so, I’ll have them in to deer and turkey hunt at the least. Looking forward to see if it helps, if not, on to the next thing.

Protect your hearing! Seriously.

callinfowl likes this.
  9. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

That sounds like the message I got from my dad after his appointment, I think he ended up getting the same ones because he said they were $1500. He loves them.
    He's no longer out of the conversation at the dinner table and family get togethers, we have to watch what we say about dad now because he can hear better than us.:l
    I hope they work out for you brother.:tu:tu:tu

Allan likes this.
  10. 15thTN

15thTN Elite Refuge Member

Not surprising as freaking loud as your duck calls are! :nutz

callinfowl, Allan and bill cooksey like this.