Tinnitus

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Squaller, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

When I lived in the country, I kept a baker's dozen penned quail under my office window, so I could eavesdrop on their small talk.

Turkeys were another love, and I can remember the frustration of trying to get the old guys I carried to hear their "drumming". Last time I went, it turned out I'm an old guy.

widgeon likes this.
  2. Larry D

Larry D Elite Refuge Member

We hear of so many things to "cure" the tinnitus. Does anything actually work?

widgeon likes this.
  3. techfowl

techfowl Elite Refuge Member

My ringing gets worse if I am tired.

widgeon likes this.
  4. Vahunter

Vahunter Elite Refuge Member

Mine have all told me to take the aids out and use conventional hearing protection. I use foam in the ear and Mickey Mouse ears doubled up for most everything loud.

Frenchy in AK likes this.
  5. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

You wear plugs while turkey and deer hunting?

6. 15thTN

15thTN Elite Refuge Member

How do the electronic muffs like the $50 peltors at Walmart work with hunting? They have a volume knob on them, and are handy when shooting and talking to people.

The electronic part fascinating to me that's for sure. Blocks the shot but I could hear the recoil spring working on my AR after the shot.

Frenchy in AK and Vahunter like this.
  7. Vahunter

Vahunter Elite Refuge Member

Actually, great question. If I'm sitting over a bean field with my 30-06, yes, I wear plugs. Hasn't seemed to be a detriment to my success. If I'm in the woods on a stand, or trying to hear rutting sounds, or trying to still hunt, I wear those electronic deals that amplify and then baffle shut for loud noises. Don't turkey hunt much, but I think I'd use the electronic protection.

8. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

We use Howard Leight Impact and are happy with them. We also use the Surefire baffle plugs for various situations.

9. bill cooksey

I've tried electronics for turkey, but more for enhancement than protection. The problem I had, and have heard the same from others, is it being impossible to course a sound/gobble. And if I can't course a gobble, I have no reason to turkey hunt.

10. bill cooksey

I have a pair of electronic muffs I wear while coaching trap in cooler weather. I have friends who wear them hunting, but I've yet to find a pair I can shoot in due to the comb hitting the muff.