Tennessee Flyway Forum Sponsors

TN Quota Blind: First Time

Discussion in 'Tennessee Flyway Forum' started by AppalachianHollers, May 17, 2020.

1. J.SCOTT

J.SCOTT Senior Refuge Member

I wish you could have started hunting in the late 70s, plenty of spots with no crowds or competition. It was very relaxing and easy.
    It's a different world now, too much duck media.

mister gadwall likes this.
  2. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I'm still broke, and I haven't forgotten. My advice is to stay in East TN, wade around and not kill ducks most weekends and save money for a guided hunt or two. I lived in East TN for one duck season. That February I got busy and found a job in West TN. Sorry, but my advice stands.

One can not kill ducks without driving five hours and wading around in a strange place, so it makes sense to save the gas money, vehicle mileage and time by wading around not killing ducks close to home. Wouldn't take too many trips not taken to afford a used jonboat and old outboard. That would open up his options a hell of a lot.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    J.SCOTT, duckmann and Meach like this.
  3. Orangefeet

Orangefeet Elite Refuge Member

Listen to Bill Cooksey! Most of the Lake area's are mud flat's. Not alot of cover around where the water is....since they draw the water down considerably in the winter. May the force be with you.

4. firedawg1501

firedawg1501 New Member

5. AppalachianHollers

AppalachianHollers New Member

Cleveland/Bradley County

6. firedawg1501

firedawg1501 New Member

Good deal. I’m right up from you on watts bar. Last season was tougher than usual but you should be able to find a few here and there if you’re willing to put in the time and move some.

7. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

I drive from 2+ hours away a few times per season. Get up at 1:30 or 2:00 and go. Sometimes I leave work early or take Friday off to scout the afternoon before and camp overnight. I'm not the best person to ask.

If I was willing to drive to middle tn from east tn I wouldn't care to drive another 2hrs.

The backs of the bays are not bad with mud where I hunt. Mostly gravel. Layout blind in drift and you hide fine. The local coe lake is drawn down about 25' so no cover is just a thing I deal with. You learn to keep decoys away from you and oriented in a way to keep them from looking at your hide.

It isn't Claypool's but you can kill ducks and geese if you work at it.

8. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I have a house on KY Lake, a duck boat and plenty of decoys, and I haven't hunted on the lake in years. There are a few WMA blinds that kill enough ducks to be worth messing with, and when the weather is right you can kill ducks a lot of places around the lake.

Every mile you travel west of the lake puts you nearer more ducks.

9. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

If you listen to posters, Claypool ain't Claypool, anymore.