To flock or not.

finster52

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Serious question. I flock my mallard heads. I also flock my blacks entire body.
But does it really make a big difference?
With the blacks yes. But the mallards don't really seem to care.
What's all ypur opinions?

Billy Bob

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
IMO black is the only color of flocking that makes any difference. Black paint gets dull so quickly it really helps. I wont have çanadas without flocked heads. Conversely, I refuse to have ducks' flocked, especially mallard heads

Kola16

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I will be flocking all of my ducks. Necessary? Definitely not, but it can only help. If they already need paint, it takes very little effort to sprinkle flocking on top of it.

oleww

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I am thinking flock it. More flock is better

Mean Gene

Reaction score
It makes a difference more to you than it does to the ducks. I've used fully flocked and finely detailed, and I've used painted, and my own personal, real world observation, says it really doesn't matter. But, if that's what you want, if it gives you more confidence, then go for it. It certainly won't hurt. I just personally have not seen it matter. Bottom line: make you happy...yours is the only opinion that's going to count.

Last edited:

Dirtybird420

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I will be flocking all of my ducks. Necessary? Definitely not, but it can only help. If they already need paint, it takes very little effort to sprinkle flocking on top of it.
This is where me an dad are. Even flocked the mojos n shaker butts. It might not matter but dang if they don’t look good.

EWUEagles

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have seen it make a difference. We hunted the same pond 5 years in a row and the last 3 switched to fully flocked. The ducks seem to work better and we limited faster. I know so many variables but it seemed like they worked.

I will say flocked decoys stand out way more than painted decoys. Now if I’m running a big spread I find it cumbersome to be careful with flocked decoys and for the most part run painted decoys.

HONKSRWORKN

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Flockem …. I don’t flock the entire decoy , usually just the heads and tails , … Mallards I tend to flock the dark green areas in Black , stands out much better .. if you want ducks to see your spread … contrast is the way to do it … and Black Flock makes the black stand out way better than just black paint …. I use rustolem bed liner black in the rattle can as your adhesive … once it drys it’s as tough as nails can’t scratch it with a knife … best stuff I’ve used … you don’t need to re do them every season ..