To flock or not.

Birdcrazy

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
To add to Honks comment, alot of guys keep saying " black heads, black tails, fullbody flock black ducks even black and white silos. It's a no brainer that a mallard decoy with a factory flocked head is way darker than the same head that is painted and most times has a bit of a sheen. So go ahead a flock to your liking whether it's green or black....I would....:tu

Dirtybird420

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
It’s definitely helps with the shine. An again idk if it’s gonna matter but they do look good. An as far as being worried about them getting messed up it seems that our flocking is a lot tougher then the factory flocking.

Attachments

• AF0CDC56-6AC4-4F51-9785-30F69B3BDACD.jpeg
    AF0CDC56-6AC4-4F51-9785-30F69B3BDACD.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 82
  • 91D8A80D-A3E1-41A8-B2B8-37D2F4D750F6.jpeg
    91D8A80D-A3E1-41A8-B2B8-37D2F4D750F6.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 82

Woodduck31

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
any home flocking is tougher than factory. I flock everything and don't like it when people I hunt with bring their non flocked decoys. I think the effectiveness is pretty specific to certain situations. If it's dark and overcast or raining, I'm not sure it makes any difference. If it's clear and sunny I think it does. My success has been much better since I started using flocked decoys, but that probably depends on where you are and what species you are hunting. There are days when it really doesn't matter what you do, ducks will pitch in with reckless abandon regardless of your decoys. There are days when they won't even look. For me, if a duck doesn't decoy I wonder why. There are times when ducks come by that, in my opinion should be pitching in. I try to figure it out, but mostly it has nothing to do with my decoys, I'm confident in that. Usually it's not the shine on a decoy, it's the shine on someone's face that can't keep their head down. It's not too much motion in the decoys, it's the motion in the blind from someone who just can't stay still. Yes, I think flocking is a good tool in the box. I really don't care if anyone uses it, actually I prefer no one else on the river has it, kind of simplifies things. With that said, I like the fact that flocking makes my custom decoys more durable, it's kind of a necessity to have your custom foam decoys either restle coated, epoxy coated or flocked for a good durable shell.

finster52

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Glad I started this. Lots of answers. Its great to hear everyones thoughts.
After I flocked my blacks about 4 years ago. I saw in immediate change in how they improved my luck. Every passing black looked. Some stayed and went home with me. Mallards showed a greater interest. So I flocked some mallards. I set them without the blacks to see what would happen. They didn't seem any more interested in flocked or unflocked. Put out 8 blacks and in they came. I flocked a few mallards fully. Jury is out. This season sucked where I am.

Billy Bob

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Glad I started this. Lots of answers. Its great to hear everyones thoughts.
After I flocked my blacks about 4 years ago. I saw in immediate change in how they improved my luck. Every passing black looked. Some stayed and went home with me. Mallards showed a greater interest. So I flocked some mallards. I set them without the blacks to see what would happen. They didn't seem any more interested in flocked or unflocked. Put out 8 blacks and in they came. I flocked a few mallards fully. Jury is out. This season sucked where I am.
Black flocking pops, simple as that. Think of how well black and white goose silos work. Even painted black decoys have more pop and pulling power than than flocked decoys with realistic color.

Youve s een it. If its working, don't fix it. If anything just flock more black ducks.

mightywalleyehunter

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Flockem …. I don’t flock the entire decoy , usually just the heads and tails , … Mallards I tend to flock the dark green areas in Black , stands out much better .. if you want ducks to see your spread … contrast is the way to do it … and Black Flock makes the black stand out way better than just black paint …. I use rustolem bed liner black in the rattle can as your adhesive … once it drys it’s as tough as nails can’t scratch it with a knife … best stuff I’ve used … you don’t need to re do them every season ..
what's the dry time on the bedliner? I've got some tangle free pro mallards that I would like to repaint but they're my beaters and I'd like to paint once a blue moon.

Aunt Betty

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
It matters.
Sorry to disagree but we tested this flocked vs unflocked thing at the very best hole.
Mallards pretty much always landed in the flocked decoys. We had the hole zoned with flocked and unflocked on really good days where we made piles. It was 100% landing in the flocked decoys.

H20DAD

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I’ve added some unflocked mottled ducks to my flocked mottled duck spread and I’m shooting more passing over the decoys birds than landing next to the decoys birds. It’s just not worth the money and time to me to flock them all. But I think it works better.

All these birds are sitting under a spinner at all times

Duck hunting isn’t a game of inches but yards thankfully.

wingsandwater

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I'm a flocking fan. My blacks, mallards and pintails are all fully flocked. I had some painted pintails that shined terribly in certain rain/ice/sun conditions. Does it help, maybe. I had the most skiddish blacks swimming 3' from my fully flocked black decoys and they didn't flinch. Those ditches hold the most stubborn black ducks you'll ever see.

CA Birdman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Flocking and a permanent spread do not go together. I didn't see enough difference to justify. If I was hunting 12-18 decoys may feel differently. I prefer my speck decoys flocked although have some painted and we have landed them next to both painted and flocked.