To open a hole or not?

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by Mike0311, Sep 11, 2019 at 11:10 PM.

1. Mike0311

Mike0311 Refuge Member

I have a place to hunt that looks like it will be great for teal season. If it is I plan to build a blind for duck season. The water is only about knee deep for several hundred yards around the spot I plan to build the blind the only issue is there are alot of old dead weeds. Not so much that finding a dead bird would be difficult but enough that it may be difficult for ducks and geese to see the decoys.im talking roughly a foot or so between each weed. I'm thinking of trying to stomp some down to make a hole maybe 25x25 yards. Would it be worth it to take the time to do that.

2. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Senior Refuge Member

Take out a buddy or two armed with some loppers and clean it up. Get rid of the weeds completly instead of just stomping them down. You can use what you cut and remove to aid in building a blind or two. Create some decent sized pockets of open water. Do it right and It will be worth your time if you have birds in the area. :tu

Gander View likes this.
  3. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Depends. If these are just the stalks....you know, single sticks sticking up....it won't be worth the time/effort; ducks can see the decoys (whether they'll inclined to land in them is another matter). However, if they are dead weeds with lots of 'branches' and/or dead leaves still attached, then by all means remove them to create a hole.

4. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

Bribe some under age kids with beer....that will get em to work and you’ll have a football size opening

5. Mike0311

Mike0311 Refuge Member

I think I will leave it alone for now since it is just stalks no leaves or anything and see how the season starts out. If need be I can open it up in late November before alot of birds move down.

6. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Senior Refuge Member

7. Mike0311

Mike0311 Refuge Member

Yeah dead weeds with no leaves or anything. Not sure what it's called. It almost like a tree ish. Brown hard stalk few "limbs" sticking out. Have seen alot at the lakes around here last year.

8. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Your area doesn't get a lot of birds until late November??? Where are you, Louisiana?

9. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Senior Refuge Member

I have always wanted to go out in a marsh and go make a hole somewhere. With all the overgrown pools in Kansas go make a pocket only you know about (until people hear the shots)... Im sure it would take a ton of work, tools etc and pry be frowned on or "against the rules" but it would be deadly if done right

10. Out of focus

Out of focus Senior Refuge Member