To sheen or not to sheen

fowlwhacker

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Agreed. When you think your hide is good enough, make it 100% better than that. That's when a guy finds out just how "smart" a bird is and how little other things matter.
And I have been in some blinds that we went above and beyond to conceal and then had difficulty to get up and get a clean shot off at times but hate to question if birds don't commit and flare if it is the hide. I hate hunting in a half azzed brushed blind or pit but have had invites to hunt one of which was a bare offshore plywood box blind and we hammered ducks that day.

Native NV Ducker

Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others
Reaction score
which was a bare offshore plywood box blind

If it's been there for a while, I got no problem with that blind. In fact, that is what the blinds are at a local refuge. They 100% cover your movements.

Rick Hall

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Ducks are killed from crappy blinds every open day, but I still prefer our chances from blinds that conceal themselves, as well as their hunters.

reddogge

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Our blind is brushed up so heavily and designed for over 6' tall shooters I can't even see out of it, less swing on a duck.

Tuleman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
And I have been in some blinds that we went above and beyond to conceal and then had difficulty to get up and get a clean shot off at times but hate to question if birds don't commit and flare if it is the hide.
Therein lies the conundrum: a blind that conceals 100% and yet allows you to effectively shoot out of. Not easy to build a blind like that. Takes work and foresight.

fowlwhacker

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Our blind is brushed up so heavily and designed for over 6' tall shooters I can't even see out of it, less swing on a duck.
We tend to make some minor adjustments along the way and many times even going up and out doing a practice shoot isn't enough for the first couple guns out if a newly brushed blind. Some guest tend to want to break off everything to see and shoot and then leave a gaping hole up front and above. We try to let guest adjustments are okay but don't get carried away.

reddogge

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
We tend to make some minor adjustments along the way and many times even going up and out doing a practice shoot isn't enough for the first couple guns out if a newly brushed blind. Some guest tend to want to break off everything to see and shoot and then leave a gaping hole up front and above. We try to let guest adjustments are okay but don't get carried away.
I'm not exagerating but the reeds on the front are at least 8 to 9' tall and bunched very tightly together. I prefer them to come up to shoulder height and the shooters duck down below them when ducks are approaching. How can you shoot by poking your barrel out of a tiny opening in a wall of reeds?

Rogue Hunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I'm always perplexed by this movement thing while hunting from a cattail hide...the wind can be blowing those darn things all over the place, but move an arm or your head, and the birds flair.

Billy Bob

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I'm always perplexed by this movement thing while hunting from a cattail hide...the wind can be blowing those darn things all over the place, but move an arm or your head, and the birds flair.
I think that most of the time the problem is UV reflection cause by laundry detergent with brighteners. I never, ever wash my hunting clothes with detergent anymore. When I stopped using it I noticed it was easier to move and not get busted. When I compare my clothes to friends theirs are almost always bright and very easy to see. My outer garmets are drab and dirty.

I can thank a friends daughter that was a hardcore big game hunter for telling me to try it.

YMMV

Latest posts