Tokina ap-x 28-80 f2.8?

Duckboy

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon,
I just wanted to post a question/reviews in regards to the listed lens. I have the oportunity to pick one up at a great price. And since I am lacking in the 35mm-70mm, im really close to pulling the trigger.
I have read that there are a few versions to pass, and its not one. Another is the lack of sharpness, but it can be just to a specific lens.

Any thoughts on this lens? Im prepping for baby#2 in april. So mama wants me to get some picks of him. I just cant use this as a push to by a $1,000 lens.

thanks

DB

huntersdad

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
What body are you using it on?

When my daughter was born I believe, I mostly used a 70-200 2.8 on FF, but I had the room to move. I also used a 30 1.4 on crop. Biggest thing with babies is lighting. I too have my second due at the end of April and will be using a 24-120 f/4 plus lights. Just another thing to consider.

Duckboy

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Sadly, I am shooting a D300 at the moment. I mean that due to missing my canon glass by switching to Nikon.

I dont think I will have enough room to use my 70-200, and I dont want to be "up in his face" with my 17-35.:h

I would look into a prime, but would like to get a good walk around lens, along with the 2.8

Dizzy Duck

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Sadly, I am shooting a D300 at the moment. I mean that due to missing my canon glass by switching to Nikon.

I dont think I will have enough room to use my 70-200, and I dont want to be "up in his face" with my 17-35.:h

I would look into a prime, but would like to get a good walk around lens, along with the 2.8

Awesome little lens and the price is right!!!! Might not be a high dollar Canon or Nikon name brand, but with good exposures and a little honing of skills it will do the job and damn near, if not as good as the "Look what I got" stuff!! A lot of us are telling Canon to take a hike and roll in their greedy corporate stupidity! As far as that goes, if your looking to stay with the name lines there is plenty of excellent used gear on the market!!