Tomorrow starts the fun

Discussion in 'Montana / Wyoming Flyway Forum' started by Mean Gene, Jul 5, 2019.

1. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

You forgot C. The fact that out west here a rainstorm doesn't lead to high humidity in the air shortly thereafter. I love it!

2. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator

Went to Hebgen today, and it was very slow. I think the hungry fish decided to sleep in this morning. Still, what great scenery for the drive there.

Brown.jpg

3. Mean Gene

Bugged out at 5:15 this morning and went to a lake not far from here. Felt a bit nippy for a summer morning and on the ride over the readout on the dashboard said 37 degrees. Didn't take long for it to warm up though and by the time noon rolled around I was wishing the temperature was back down there. The fly of choice right off the bat was a purple body bead head pheasant tail. When they stopped slamming that I switched over to a black wiggle tail on the bottom and a sparkle purple body woolly bugger with a black hackle. They ate both flies, but did seem to like the bugger better. Around 11 I put a sparkle green body wiggle tail on the bottom and picked up a few on that, but they still seemed to like the purple bugger better. When we quit at about 12:30 I'd put 31 fish in the net. Never caught any real big fish, but plenty of 16-18 inchers. All in all it was an enjoyable day on the water.

002.jpg 007.jpg 011.jpg

JRS likes this.
  4. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

5. NWRINGNECK

NWRINGNECK Elite Refuge Member

So I’ve been watching your posts with interest on your adventure. Looks like your are living your dream.

Now my question. Wondering about a wiggle tail fly?

My quick research showed it used on large flys for pike or saltwater fishing. Care to share a picture of your wiggle tail pattern used above?

I’ve returned to fishing the way I was taught back in the 60’s trolling flys with lead line for the local trout. There are some nicer Browns in several of the local lakes that I plan to target this fall with larger buck tails and other larger flys. This fly style might be an option for me to look into.

6. NWRINGNECK

NWRINGNECK Elite Refuge Member

Ok I got it. An articulated fly

7. Mean Gene

No, single hook. I'll get a picture up. It's a fly originally developed by a guy named Jay Fair who fished Eagle Lake in Northern California a lot. Short coupled hook with a long, sparse maribou tail.

8. Mean Gene

Headed over to the Hamilton area tomorrow for the bluegrass festival this weekend. Looking forward to having some fun listening to music and then sitting with folks and picking tunes. Been awhile since we did that and we're looking forward to it.

http://hardtimesbluegrass.com/

9. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

You will have a good time.

10. Mean Gene

Had a great time for sure. I'll post up some pictures when I get them cleaned up. Got fuel in Darby Sunday evening at the station in the market parking lot. Believe that was your coffee hut right there? Obviously it was closed then...I'll stop in the next time.