Took my gf and sister hunting opening weekend.

stoneyhu717

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
It was an interesting experience. There wasn’t enough water to get to our normal location. We have to boat in to get to it. So my buddy and I took them to a place we scouted a couple of days ago.

my sister hasn’t hunted in years, and this was my gf’s first time. My buddy and I were carrying their seats in and preparing to toss the decoys out. We passed shooting time, and I told them both “be ready, they are gonna be moving.”

a group of 6 mallards flew over us, and I said “bust em!”. I look back and my sister is trying to hand her loaded tea to my buddy, and my gf is looking in the wrong direction :l. Then 4 more fly past us within 25 yards. They still don’t raise their guns. Finally a pair of wood ducks flew over, and my sister got a couple of shots off, dropping a Drake.

CC2FDDD3-D697-415B-883E-0E16BB5DA47B.jpeg
They had a few more opportunities. My sister fired about 3 times, and my gf shot once. We only bagged 1 out of 18 possible ducks. My buddy and I didn’t even shoot. Today was about letting them have some fun.

hunting1

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Good for them and you for getting them out there. If those smiles are any indication they enjoyed it and it was worthwhile. For them and you :tu

stoneyhu717

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Good for them and you for getting them out there. If those smiles are any indication they enjoyed it and it was worthwhile. For them and you :tu
I’m pretty sure they had fun. I’m taking my gf and my middle daughter again in the morning, and my sister has asked if I’ll take her Sunday. Honestly, I don’t even care if I get to do any shooting. I have just as much fun watching them.

hunting1

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure they had fun. I’m taking my gf and my middle daughter again in the morning, and my sister has asked if I’ll take her Sunday. Honestly, I don’t even care if I get to do any shooting. I have just as much fun watching them.
Great attitude and that will go towards encouraging them more. Lots of luck tomorrow and Sunday and don't forget to post up some pics!

stoneyhu717

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Great attitude and that will go towards encouraging them more. Lots of luck tomorrow and Sunday and don't forget to post up some pics!
Definitely. I’m not sure my gf or daughter will bag any. This is the first year of shotgunning for both of them. My oldest daughter on the other hand has dropped several over the last couple of years.

hunting1

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
You can always 'help out and tell them what a fine shot they made :yes

stoneyhu717

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Well, my gf is 0 for 2. 2 hunts, 2 shots fired, 0 birds . My daughter was excited to go on her first hunt. She said she couldn’t go to sleep last night. When I got her settled and tossed the decoys out, she said “Daddy, will you get into trouble if I kill too many ducks?”. I’m liking her confidence :l.

We have no water in my area, and I haven’t been able to get to the spot I usually hunt. We took them back to the spot we took my gf and sister last week. The weather was unusually warm this morning (60 degrees).

The ducks weren’t moving much, but we did have a few fly in range. My daughter got a couple of shots off, and was just behind the second duck. I haven’t taught her how to lead a crossing bird yet.

I did take a couple of shots at the second duck my daughter shot at and dropped it, but it was out past 50 yards when I hit it and it fell into the thick buck brush. I wasn’t able to locate it, so I decided I wouldn’t shoot at anymore today and just try to help them.
1686AE3F-EB0C-49AB-949D-3E3C3B628055.jpeg
09C57AEC-9277-4BA1-9A79-9AC8863D70B0.jpeg
852F0E1F-5A3C-4DDC-B429-DF66D6235443.jpeg

stoneyhu717

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
:l:l Taking the hit like a good daddy should.
Sounds like you have both of them well on their way. Thanks for pics and report :tu
Hopefully I can help them bag their first ducks this season. My daughter has already asked if she can have the first duck she kills stuffed and Lou Ted in her bedroom. Of course I’m gonna make that happen for her if she does.

Last edited:

Clark

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
In my area one could never learn to wing shoot just hunting. Way too few opportunities. I would get them to some clays or skeet. Will learn more in an hour on clays than years of hunting.