Topper/camper shell

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by Rice Hunter, Jul 25, 2017.

1. MJ1657

MJ1657 Senior Refuge Member

I have an '18 Silverado and had a '15 before this one with a Leer topper. Accesscover.com makes a tailgate seal and box foam kit to keep dirt and snow dust out . Takes about 45 minutes or so to install and works great .

2. MALLARD MAGICIAN

MALLARD MAGICIAN Elite Refuge Member

I have an ARE that came on a 2005 Chevy Colorado I bought here lately....

I kind of like having that shell, surprisingly enough, but I dont see needing it for the purpose I bought the truck for.... I'd like to sale that shell, and have been told they are valuable, but darn I sure can't find a good source of fair value. I've seen $150 to $1200 listed, so what say you guys. What is an used ARE shell, much like the one posted above, in great shape worth?

3. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

The issue with selling used toppers is they are so model/color specific. Now, if you don't care about color matching that helps a lot in finding a used one. I would say that if you have a well taken care of topper, then you should be able to get maybe half the cost of new.

4. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Forgot I posted this here.

Follow-up. I got a LEER shell, sliding windows, front window drops down and got tailgate seal.

Hunted North Dakota last fall with it and ran about 850 miles of dirt/gravel roads in 5 days. There was some dust that got in, but it wasn't too bad.

I have not gotten a hoist installed. I'm still thinking about that. I've got 12' ceilings in my garage, so I have plenty of room to lift that thing up.

Overall, I've been really happy with it. Dog was also really happy with it this last duck season.

marsh man dan and stevena198301 like this.
  5. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

You can typically get about 25% of the new cost for a decent used topper. If it's in really good shape, and the color is a match for the buyer, you might get 35% of the new cost. Around here, most used toppers go for $200 - $400. They typically sell (around here) for $1500-$1800 new. Once in awhile I'll see a used ARE listed for $600-$800 but they are rare. If you are buying, you can have your pick of several if your budget is $400.

6. MALLARD MAGICIAN

MALLARD MAGICIAN Elite Refuge Member

Thanks

7. cprodave

cprodave Senior Refuge Member

Getting dust in them depends a lot on how much the shell leaks air (and sometimes water). Even some of the high dollar brand-new shells may leak which can be very frustrating to buyer and dealer alike. Other shells might be really "tight' and leakproof.

In the past have bought 2 used shells for my S10 pickup truck. First one I paid (I am sure) less than $100 for and resold it for around same price. Second one I bought for $45. They were both well worth it, I wouldn't own a truck without one. Easy to put on and take off with 2 people...