Toss up between Ford, Chevy, GMC, and Ram

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by Tdawg5664, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Tdawg5664

Tdawg5664 Refuge Member

I am starting to look for a new truck. Currently have a 2005 Nissan Frontier. Pretty bad gas mileage so the newer trucks will get better mileage even with a bigger engine. Currently get 10-12 mpg. It’s currently a tossup between the brands listed in the title. Planning on spending 25k max. The mileage I’m seeing on trucks around my area are anywhere from 70-115k. Looking for suggestions and things to stay away from. I’m leaning towards 2012 and newer Ford F-150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost with twins but open to other brand of trucks also. Thanks.

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

You will get replies from every camp, pro and con. Do you like blondes, brunettes, or redheads?

Personally, I have always been a Ford guy, which is odd, since Dad was a Toyota/Chevy guy. I had a 99 F-350 till 2 years ago, with the 7.3. Didn't need the big motor anymore, so I sold it. Did the research for what had the 'options' I wanted. I didn't want the 3.5, I wanted the 5.0, a very well established motor. I ended up getting a '13 F-150, 4d, with the longer bed. It had a cooling system issue, but otherwise, a great truck. (split system fitting, they have re-designed it, and had to wait a week for the part)

Like a gun, find the one that fits you best, looks good to your eye, and at a price you can afford. Seriously, if someone comes on here and has a sad story to tell, that is for 'that' truck. Not the whole line. Every company is selling trucks like mad. If there were systemic problems, they wouldn't be selling them.

3. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

I have a 2016 ford with the 3.5 ecoboost. Has 94000 trouble free miles on it so far. Motor is a beast. The power is always there. With the wide powerband it feels much more powerful than my 6.2L F250 which needs to be revved out to get into the power. I cant speak for chevy or dodge.

4. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

I wouldnt take a Ram pickup if you gave it to me. Ford, GMC, Chevy take your pick. Id throw Toyota into the mix. Currently drive a 2010 silverado with the AFM turned off. Get 15 mpg. Suprised your Frontier does so poorly. Find what you like and have someone go to the auction and see if they can find it cheaper.

5. gone goosin

gone goosin Elite Refuge Member

Reason being?

6. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

Ive owned 2. Both raging pieces of ****. My last was a 2015 ecodiesel. I wanted to drive it through the front window of the dealership and light it on fire then walk away with both middle fingers in the air.

darkvibe likes this.
  7. MarshmanDon

MarshmanDon RIP MarshmanDon

8. MarshmanDon

MarshmanDon RIP MarshmanDon

They dropped the hammer on those market shots lot of mallards.
    Thanks MarshmanDon

9. gone goosin

gone goosin Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the reply. Thankfully I’ve owned several and had no issues. Owned a Tundra as well with no issues except it being extremely thirsty. Several issues with Chevy and Ford. Those were issues I had as not everyone seems to have had them. Unfortunately I have to drive a Ford Transit for my work vehicle and have had more issues with it. Just shows everyone’s experiences may be different.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  10. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I'm pretty much a Chevy/GMC guy, but Car and Driver magazine recently compared quarter-ton pickups and the Dodge came out on top.