California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Total noob in Banos - lottery / sweatline guidance?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by BirdiePowPow, Oct 19, 2021.

1. BirdiePowPow

BirdiePowPow Refuge Member

Hi pals!

I’m a total noob duck hunter. I went on an unsuccessful pheasant hunt ages ago, have my licenses and stamps, just fired 75 rounds at some clays to dust off the ole Mossberg, but other than that - noob.

I recently adopted a WPG with some hunting experience and got the itch to harvest my own food again. Oddly enough, I don’t even eat meat anymore - but I’ll totally eat the good Lord’s wild game. I don’t have any friends that currently hunt (they’re all hippies) but I’m pushing 40 so I figure - screw it, just buy some waders and decoys and go!

I’ve got a hotel booked in Santa Nella. I’m bringin’ the whole damn family, they’re gonna play in the pool while mom slams White Claws I guess. I put in for the opening day online lottery at Volta, Los Banos, and Gadwall - did not get drawn.

Can I / should I enter the night before lottery at Volta/Banos and Gadwall (Salt Slough Check Station)?

is there a reserve you’d particularly recommend for getting drawn on opening day?

And how bad are the sweat
    lines? How does that work? Are you standing in an actual line for hours? Parked in your vehicle listening for a number to be called?

If I don’t get drawn for anything, I was almost thinkin’ of just going quail hunting around San Luis in the morning and then trying to get in for an afternoon hunt somewhere. Is that a dumb idea?

Sorry to sound like such a frickin’ rube. I try out a lot of hobbies and hunting has to be one of the roughest to go at alone in terms of available information. I’m just tryin’ to make the best of my weekend and newly purchased gear.

Thank you, yee haw, and good night. :sp

2. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator

I'm in SoCal and know nothing of the areas ya mentioned, but nevertheless... Welcome aboard!!!

BirdiePowPow likes this.
  3. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

Can only put in at one refuge. Might get lucky and get on first thing, might have to wait. Might as well give it a shot, learn a bit and find some spots for the future.

BirdiePowPow likes this.
  4. Beau Slaton

Beau Slaton Senior Refuge Member

If I were you I’d go to los banos Friday night and put in for the lotto. Depending when you get there the line shouldn’t be too long. You grab and number and go back to the hotel. Next morning show up 2 hours before shoot time. Check your lotto draw and wait until they call your number. Hopefully you get on in the morning but if not hope for a good evening shoot. I’ll be staying in Santa nella as well and hunting banos. Good luck

5. partyfowl

partyfowl Elite Refuge Member

You don't know, unless you go.

Runnin_Chupacabra and Brottboss like this.
  6. thekillerofmallard

thekillerofmallard Elite Refuge Member

Good luck hope you get on somewhere.
    Bring your ID book don't take two hen sprig to the check out station.
    Going alone is a rough road especially with birds not in full plumage

7. Refugeguy

Refugeguy Elite Refuge Member

8. Refugeguy

Refugeguy Elite Refuge Member

Beau you should take him to a 3 man blind

9. Beau Slaton

Beau Slaton Senior Refuge Member

Joe, you should take him to your mendota sacred hot spot!

OGblackcloud, mak2782 and Refugeguy like this.
  10. mjcook6

mjcook6 Elite Refuge Member

Juvie wouldn’t even spew this mediocre lead core…

Canyoncrosser, WILDDUX and Gomer like this.