Tote rite vs traditional trailer mounted transom saver

Outdoors994

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of advise if the tote rite would help for trailering. I have a 2017 lowe roughneck 1860 and a 60hp fourstroke mercury on the back. I have always used the tilt trim lever, but someone advised me that i needed some sort of other support. I have struggled to find something besides the traditional transom saver, anyone have experience with the tote rite support or another brand and do i need one with a 60 hp motor or will i be fine without it.

darkvibe

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Tote right keeps the weight off the trim pump but does nothing for your transom. There are a lot of variables that contribute to stress in your transom but since aluminum has a finite fatigue life why not just put a transom saver on that attaches to the trailer and call it a day.

Iammichael6499

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
IMO, if you have a hydraulic jack plate there’s no need for a transom saver device. I simply toggle my motor straight up and trailer it in the vertical position. Not having to tilt the motor for trailering reduces wear and tear on the power tilt mechanism that can be caused by rough roads. Even without a jack plate most transoms are more than strong enough to properly support outboards over most road conditions hence I don’t see the need for a transom saver UNLESS your transom is compromised by rot, loose rivets, broken welds, etc.

Iammichael6499

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
IMO, if you have a hydraulic jack plate there’s no need for a transom saver device. I simply toggle my motor straight up and trailer it in the vertical position. Not having to tilt the motor for trailering reduces wear and tear on the power tilt mechanism that can be caused by rough roads. Even without a jack plate most transoms are more than strong enough to properly support outboards over most road conditions hence I don’t see the need for a transom saver UNLESS your transom is compromised by rot, loose rivets, broken welds, etc.
… or you have to tilt it way up to avoid skeg/lower unit damage.

Tuleman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Any transom saver that attaches to the trailer will be what you want. Attwood makes several models, and dozens of other brands are offered on Amazon.

duckbuster5901

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
To save wear and tear on Power trim unit I insert about a 2" lenght of 4" pvc pipe between motor and transom bracket . Run unit down on it snug. Flexs just enough to absorb shock plus gives a little extra height to lower unit for road hazards. Have tried the transom savers ran back to trailer frame but don,t seem to get much life from them before they break.

CanardNoir

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of advise if the tote rite would help for trailering. I have a 2017 lowe roughneck 1860 and a 60hp fourstroke mercury on the back. I have always used the tilt trim lever, but someone advised me that i needed some sort of other support. I have struggled to find something besides the traditional transom saver, anyone have experience with the tote rite support or another brand and do i need one with a 60 hp motor or will i be fine without it.
Do the physics - There's no substitute for the traditional brace of the lower-unit to the trailer frame! It's the torque moment around the transom and the outboard's mount that must be neutralized...