Washington Flyway Forum Sponsors

Toxic Algae Bloom Lake Terrell

Discussion in 'Washington Flyway Forum' started by fever, Oct 12, 2019 at 5:53 PM.

1. fever

fever Elite Refuge Member

just a heads up if you plan on coming north. Was just out scouting around the county and was surprised to see Lake Terrell posted with toxic algae bloom warnings. “No pets” so I assume it’s dangerous to my retriever?

This could suck.

2. toby

toby Elite Refuge Member

Spanaway lake is closed for fishing and it is killing me. Great for fall trout.

3. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Correct. Drinking water or even licking their coat after a swim in the stuff can make them sick and is sometimes fatal.

4. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA. Moderator

Most of the time it's fatal, because you don't notice anything wrong with your dog until their kidneys start shutting down....by then it's too late to treat.
    I lost the best dog I've ever had to this crap, then the next year the guy that owned the club lost his 4 yr old pup to the same crap even after I warned him.
    If your dog is ever acting lethargic or eat or drink after a hunt take them to the ER and tell them you think the dog was exposed to B.E algae. it just may save their life.
    I sure wish I knew this back then, because my dog wouldn't eat or drink the night after a hunt with is not normal for a Lab. I just thought she wasn't feeling good, and it kills me to think I could've done something to save her. The weird thing was the very last bird of the day she swam out bumped with her nose and came back and laid down. That dog was a freak'in pistol she never bocked on a retrieve before, I should've known right then that something was wrong. WATCH YOUR DOGS AROUND THAT CRAP!!!!!!:(:yes:yes:yes:reader