Trad hunters

WoodieSC

North/South Carolina Flyway Forum
Reaction score
I used to, but arthritis in my right hand ended that a few years back.

Wareagle1011

Reaction score
I used to, but arthritis in my right hand ended that a few years back.
Bodily issues are a fear of mine. Shoulder/back problems shut down both my dad and grandfather and made it to where they have to use crossbows. After years and years of shooting bows.

widgeon

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I started bow hunting before compounds and plan on pulling my longbow out this year and try for a deer. Got to refletch my arrows.

Wareagle1011

Reaction score
I started bow hunting before compounds and plan on pulling my longbow out this year and try for a deer. Got to refletch my arrows.
I built some trad arrows last year. I bought a couple dozen gt blemished shafts. Red barred lw parabolics. 73 ish grain outsert insert and i believe 175 grain point. I did a high foc compound build also with aae veins and 150 grain magnus buzzcuts up front. Wicked arrow. Whacked a does spine and made it to the lungs back in october. Quick kill. Cant remember how much length i ended up having to cut off the arrow but i ended up with something like 15% foc. Which isnt extreme but more then usual for me.

Farm4wildlife

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have a few. Over a half dozen old Bears that I kinda collect, two BW's (PMA and PSA), Horne's LB.

Hunt a fair amount anymore with them. Compete with wheel bows.

Wareagle1011

Reaction score
I have a few. Over a half dozen old Bears that I kinda collect, two BW's (PMA and PSA), Horne's LB.

Hunt a fair amount anymore with them. Compete with wheel bows.
You talking about black widow? Ive always wanted one just never dishes the money out. I have one only one old bear that i dont really shoot anymore. My dad used to compete with a wheelie bow back in the day.

Farm4wildlife

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
You talking about black widow? Ive always wanted one just never dishes the money out. I have one only one old bear that i dont really shoot anymore. My dad used to compete with a wheelie bow back in the day.

Yes, Black Widow.

The PSA is a new model 60" 50# @ 28", has their new carbon limbs and it's pretty awesome. Really smooth, less vibration than others after the shot and I'm even using a relatively light arrow out of it. I haven't chronoed it to compare, they say it's only 5-7 fps faster I believe, but definitely seems a lit more.

My PMA is an old MB 62" 60# @30". That's the bows they made previous to cnc and if they got messed up they just coated them in black marine epoxy finish. Means I don't need to worry about beating it up. I have wanted to camo for a while, just so when people saw it they would say, "That crazy ******* done painted a Black Widow".

I go in spats. I'll get pissed with compound, start shooting the sticks more, then circle back around.

Wareagle1011

Reaction score
Yes, Black Widow.

The PSA is a new model 60" 50# @ 28", has their new carbon limbs and it's pretty awesome. Really smooth, less vibration than others after the shot and I'm even using a relatively light arrow out of it. I haven't chronoed it to compare, they say it's only 5-7 fps faster I believe, but definitely seems a lit more.

My PMA is an old MB 62" 60# @30". That's the bows they made previous to cnc and if they got messed up they just coated them in black marine epoxy finish. Means I don't need to worry about beating it up. I have wanted to camo for a while, just so when people saw it they would say, "That crazy ******* done painted a Black Widow".

I go in spats. I'll get pissed with compound, start shooting the sticks more, then circle back around.
Thats sweet. Ive beens mainly shooting two cheaper bows I bought mesa 2 long bow off threerivers 50# at 28 im pulling like 48 pounds probably. Thats one of the smoothest shooting wood one piece bows I have ever seen. The arrow set up on it may not be super heavy but contrary to what I posted earlier on my trad arrow set up i checked and im actually shooting 280 grains up front. Little hand shock. But, I 4 months ago wanted to give ILF a try. So i bought a galaxy sear off lancaster that i believe was on sale. And i also wanted to try lighter limbs so i picked up some 40# black max 2.0. Im running a flemish on that i believe its b55. Im shooting the same arrow. And i have string leaches and beaver puffs vs the longbow which just has some muskrat fur. Both these bows im shooting off the shelf. My chrono has been down for a while now but I can tell you my eyeball chrono has notice and insane amount of speed comparwd to the 50 pound longbow with 40 pound limbs, same arrow, same type of string, i believe same tip to tip length also but id have to double check on that and double the string silencer. I tied string knocks on both the bows. With the same material halo center serving. I wanna camo the bow though because im not the biggest metal riser fan. For some reason I just had to have one though. Shoots arrows more accurately then any of my other 3 trad bows. But doesnt feel as natural to me. My current daily driver compound is a mathews triax which i have about 1500 dollars total tied into it. But thats not as fun.

Neighbor Guy

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
When I bow hunt I am a shoot recurve or longbow.

At one time, in the way back machine, I was shooting 3d shoots every other weekend in multiple states.

That went by the wayside when I had a kid. Might be looking into doing more of it now that she has grown and ducks are getting harder to come by.

Latest posts