California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Traeger / BBQ feedback needed...

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by freefall, Mar 29, 2021.

1. sdhunter

sdhunter Elite Refuge Member

Isn't the Traeger basically the Flippy for Smokers? Turn on the switch, and you're slaying BBQ Pit Master?

Sorry, couldn't help myself :nutz:nutz

I have to admit, they put out a good product, but steaks and burgers need to be on a real flame grill, JMO.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    JRS, gulicemo, freefall and 1 other person like this.
  2. letmwurk

letmwurk Elite Refuge Member

I have a built in gas grill that is plumbed and I do all of my cooking on my big green egg. You can make anything in it (smoke, grill, bake) and the taste is incomparable. Everything it more moist and flavorful. You can get temps from 150 to 700.

JRS and freefall like this.
  3. circlehooker

circlehooker Elite Refuge Member

I have had my Traeger now going on 7 years with zero problems. And I use it at least 2-3 days a week year round. I have done just about everything on it with great results.
    Ya it's a set it and forget it, but that's what I like. I don't have time to sit there and watch things all the time. Smokers/BBQ's are like the Ford/Chevy/Ram thing.

freefall likes this.
  4. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

Everyone who owns a pellet grill that comes over to my house for dinner wishes they had my pellet grill. Not necessarily the brand(Louisiana Grill), the accessory.
    I’ve got a “cold box” on the side that won’t get over 100 degrees.
    I smoke cheese and fish. I also put a steak in there for a couple hours. Crank heat on the main grill part to 500 and finish it.
    Same with all meats I want smoked. Just smoke with no cooking, then finish on high heat.

IV Hunt, JRS, freefall and 1 other person like this.
  5. candafish

candafish Senior Refuge Member

We went finally broke down and bought a new grill last fall. after quite a bit of research i narrowed it down to a camp chef woodwind wifi 24 with the side kick burner. lots of good reviews and versatility are what made me choose it. it has a slide and grill function, which is a pull rod connected to a flame baffle, that can be used for regular grilling with direct heat or shut down for smoking. it definitely can get hot enough to sear steaks on it or use the side kick burner's griddle and sear them on it. they also have some different attachments for the side kick, we just bought the pizza oven attachment. the pellet hopper also has a dump on it for fast change out for changing flavors of pellets.

freefall likes this.
  6. Berdnird

Berdnird Senior Refuge Member

Whatever you decide on getting, do yourself this favor. It will only cost you $20. Once you’ve finished your custom outdoor kitchen/grill area go and buy a George Foreman grill. Invite a bunch of people over to celebrate. Pull out and plug in the Foreman grill. Ask people how they like their steaks done. Try to keep a straight face as long as possible. You owe this to yourself.

JRS, freefall and candafish like this.
  7. Russnutt209

Russnutt209 Senior Refuge Member

You can get Traeger's at the px for a really good price.

freefall likes this.
  8. Wood-Dro

Wood-Dro Elite Refuge Member

I've never posted a video here before but have done plenty of pictures. It won't let me post from my phone. But it's of my buddy's Trager exploding. There was a problem with the computer and it went boom. In their defense, they did replace the entire unit.

9. 1911king

1911king Elite Refuge Member

Best comment was “traegar is the flippy of bbq’s!” That’s classic. Only thing worse is propane. Right @Big Daddy Gaddy

10. Ryan

Ryan Elite Refuge Member

I don’t miss the flare ups on my gas Weber or charcoal grill at all. Still use the gas grill when I need really high heat but the Traeger was one of the best investments I’ve made.

freefall likes this.