California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Traeger / BBQ feedback needed...

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by freefall, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Powder

Powder Elite Refuge Member

I own a Traeger, and it gets a lot of work. So does the Weber Genesis and Performer Kettle. When I buy another pellet grill, which might be soon, it will be either a Yoder or Rec Tec.

freefall and ibfowl like this.
  2. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

My wife was in the backyard the other day and said are you going to clean up and get rid of the old charcoal smoker and the weber now that you have the pellet stove and my simple answer was NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like all 3, but for ease and quick the Traeger is quick but using the briguet lighting tower it doesn't take that long to get charcoal going.

JRS and freefall like this.
  3. 1911king

1911king Elite Refuge Member

I bet some of you would use an e caller too if it were legal. Can anything be done without crutches these days?

freefall likes this.
  4. snipe a duck

snipe a duck Elite Refuge Member

I have a stickburner smoker, weber kettle and a propane grill and i get ribbing from friends and family for having too many bbq's. They all serve very different needs though. I really only like the propane for really quick during the week stuff where it doesn't make sense to light coals.

freefall likes this.
  5. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

If it makes it easier I would..

6. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

We got one from Costco last year and we think the same way. It is consistent in that regard. You have to keep them clean though but it works great and can be controlled from your phone which is pretty nice.

I was amazed at some of the meat that was coming off that thing. It gets up hot enough to sear as well but it takes a little practice to get that right. Lots of folks choose to finish on a BBQ which is good I guess but we follow the KISS method.

Ryan and freefall like this.
  7. gulicemo

gulicemo Elite Refuge Member

I like cooking on Charcoal but Green Mountain Jim Bowie has been pretty solid for 5 years.

Whatever you get, make sure to clean it often (6-10 uses). Vacuum out the ash from the burner box to prevent any mishaps.

Flyfisher likes this.
  8. Russnutt209

Russnutt209 Senior Refuge Member

So what did you decide on.

9. ibfowl

ibfowl Senior Refuge Member

It might have sounded like I was anti Traeger in my other posts, I'm not. I just don't understand how they can get the money for them over other pellet pukers. They are the Yeti's of the grilling world in my opinion. For the money there are grills that are made much better and have proven benefits like being able to reach 550 degrees. But if you can get one discounted through the PX that might be the way to go.
    More than I can spend right now, but I've been hearing good things about the Assassin 17 and Stump's XL Baby. I don't understand why somebody hasn't come out with a combo pellet grill x offset smoker or gravity fed smoker. I think you would have the best of both worlds there.

freefall and dl537 like this.
  10. mak2782

mak2782 Elite Refuge Member

thanks for the reminder, just put in my order for my yoder. My traeger refuses to die though after 7 years plus. We almost strictly cook on it outdoors in spring and summer.

Powder and ibfowl like this.