California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Traeger / BBQ feedback needed...

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by freefall, Mar 29, 2021.

1. 7pntail

7pntail Elite Refuge Member

Cheech & Chong incident with the Pit Boss (for those ol timers that can remember those dudes). Ribs, Up in Smoke. Perhaps user malfunction. If in doubt, keep adding pellets till it lights. Not 9444A19F-DA3B-473D-AEC4-B4E258393726.jpeg

2. ibfowl

ibfowl Senior Refuge Member

@mak2782
    Hopefully you will have it by August.
    I know two guys that have them one has the 640S comp the other has the 640S they both love them.
    Which one did you order? It took almost twice as long as they were told before they got them and one of them was damaged in shipping the lid was all dented in Yoder treated him right and sent him a replacement lid and the comp cart for free to make up for the delay. I still can't taste the smoke on the food until the second day when eating leftovers and they both use the Cook'in brand pellets or Lumberjack's in a pinch.

3. ibfowl

:clap:clap:l:z
    Did you have a flame out then restart it without cleaning out the fire pot?
    The one time that my Camp Chef over ran like that I bumped the power button then restarted it without cleaning out the fire pot. One thing I love about the Camp Chef's ZG are the ability to empty the fire pot without taking the grill and deflector out you just pull a knob, and it dumps the pot into a metal cup. The second thing is the ability to dump the hopper with by pulling a lever and it dumps into a bucket.
    Camp Chef has been amazing with customer service as well. After two years I started having flame outs at low temps so they sent my all new controller and temp wand for free no questions asked.

candafish likes this.
  4. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

Son!!!!!!!!!!! Is that pizza oven I see over there....

ibfowl, freefall and 7pntail like this.
  5. Wood-Dro

Wood-Dro Elite Refuge Member

Have a Trager video just like that, except it blows in the end. Just don't know how to post a video?

ibfowl likes this.
  6. 7pntail

7pntail Elite Refuge Member

Yes, pain in the butt to empty the “spent” pellets in the fire pot. Gotta scoop em out. I think nicer units have a release mechanism that shoots them to an ash pan. I know my pellet stove does.

freefall likes this.
  7. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

Availability is definitely going to be a factor for me. No way am I waiting that long for a grill to be delivered. I’ve pretty much narrowed it down between 2 grills.

Let me ask you this, if you can’t taste any of the smoke why use a pellet grill VS propane ? ....

8. ibfowl

I went from an offset stick burner too the Camp Chef. So I went from that deep Texas BBQ flavor to the pellet grill mainly because I got tired of tending coals on 15-19 hr smokes. I love how simple pellet grills are but I miss that deep black bark and heavy smoke taste.

I misspoke, the smoke taste is very light not non-existent though.
    If you use good pellets like the Cook'in brand or Lumberjack brand and woods like their oak, mesquite or hickory you're much better off on a pellet grills. You can also buy a $25 Amazing Smoke tube too add more smoke the the cooking chamber it works pretty good and you can use it by itself for cold smoking Bacon, cheese and seafood. Smoked cheese is frickin awesome. Let me know if you need any help getting started with anything. :tu

freefall likes this.
  9. yellowlabhunter

yellowlabhunter Elite Refuge Member

I do taste smoke on my Pit boss, it's not over smoked but solid flavor.

7pntail and freefall like this.
  10. laughing mallard

laughing mallard Elite Refuge Member

Yup

freefall likes this.