California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Traeger / BBQ feedback needed...

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by freefall, Mar 29, 2021.

1. The Den

The Den Refuge Member

duckfire and mak2782 like this.
  2. warren4rox

warren4rox New Member

I like the Memphis grill they sell a built-in. It is expensive but I planned on it being the last grill I ever buy. All Stainless...no parts that will ever rust out and go bad. Check them out online. Here is a pic of mine.

Attached Files:

freefall likes this.
  3. ibfowl

ibfowl Senior Refuge Member

Buy one of these 5 gal bucket vacuums to either suck or blow the ash out it makes it much easier, and they are cheap.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bucket-...VdjizAB0pzQvvEAQYASABEgKaYPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

4. mak2782

mak2782 Elite Refuge Member

They said shipping in 2 weeks. We will see. I still have a traeger in the meantime.

got the YS 640 with acs wifi.

Buddy has a yoder machine too, great piece of american steel that will last a looooong time.

ibfowl likes this.
  5. ibfowl

Hell yeah, if I had your money I'd ah bought the YS640s Competition Pellet Grill and have them fab a fire box on the left side for the ultimite USA made custom designed smoker.
    [​IMG]
    Just kidding, well not really. LOL

You are going to love the 640 If you haven't seen one in person you are going to be amazed they are built like a tank. If I had the coin I would buy the Yoder 640 over the Rec Tech Bull/700 without any hesitations whatsoever. Nice choice I can't wait to follow your cooks on it what'da you going to smoke first? I'd do up a few butts or a butt and a Chuck roast for tacos one on each end of the grill to see how they compare to each other. I bet you are excited as heck I know I would be counting days and dying to get it.
    Which pellets do they recommend that you use or which will you be using?

freefall likes this.
  6. mak2782

Probably will do a few spatchcock chickens to get it rolling then go straight into beef ribs, pork butts etc.

I bough a pallet of the cookin pellets perfect blend with some buddies, wont ever use cheap traeger pellets again, the cookin ones are awesome and I think we go em for about 13 or 14 bucks a bag when you get a pallet deal (way better than 35 a bag on amazon). Im still using em, I occasionally will use their apple mash ones for more delicate meats, white fish or cold smoke applications but the apple do not get as hot.

The fun part has been making my own rubs. I get all my spices online too (way cheaper) mostly through atlantic spice. Buy whole and grind when you can, fresher and more potent.

ibfowl likes this.
  7. ibfowl

I'm a spice junky I buy the big restaurant size containers from random places mainly the little restaurant supply here in east bay. Thanks for the atlantic spice tip I'm going to check them out I need some juniper berrys for my super double top secret all purpose BBQ Pork'in Chick'in rub.

8. mak2782

2 of my rubs use juniper berries. Amazing flavor, very potent stuff. Love it on wild game.

ibfowl likes this.
  9. ibfowl

It is very potent stuff, and it only comes in a 1lb bag or bigger that would last me many lifetimes.
    It is also good in a salmon rub.

10. Whackemnstackem

Whackemnstackem Senior Refuge Member

I have had a Green Mountain Daniel Boone for about 15 months. Got rid of my gas grill and 2 smokers. I absolutely love it with no issues and i have cooked everything from tri-tip, ribs, prime rib, standing rib pork roast, chicken, duck and goose jerky, beef jerky, smoked glazed almonds and pecans, fish. I will forever have a pellet grill. Will be picking up a Davey Crockett for the RV soon. Smoking snow goose jerky right now and will be cooking a standing rib pork roast for dinner tonight.

freefall likes this.