Trailer bunks

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Aunt Betty, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I unhook the transom tie-downs away from the ramp. I unhook the bow/winch strap after the boat is floating.

2. Rich Chamberlin

Rich Chamberlin Senior Refuge Member

I bought an older boat trailer and upon removing the bunks to recover them I noticed that they were very heavy. I thought they were water logged, but, when I took the belt sander to a small area I realized the wood was TEAK, 2 pieces of 3" x 5" X 72".
    I figured I had a better use for this than trailer bunks. Yes I know they would have lasted forever.

Tuleman likes this.
  3. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Pam type non stick or about any spray lubricant sprayed on the carpet will cut way down on issue with boats freezing to carpet covered bunks

4. Iammichael6499

Iammichael6499 Senior Refuge Member

I know it’s an old thread but I was getting bored tonight and thought, what the heck, I’ll add my 2 cents …. My bunks are 2”x6”x8’ (actual 1.5”x5.5”x8’) western red cedar laminated to 3/4”x5.5”x8’ PVC board. Many folks will say you shouldn’t use red cedar on boat trailers but I know my wood and can give 40 years of arguments why it’s excellent for bunks. I hand picked my cedar boards for vertical grain and 95% heartwood (almost no sapwood). Laminated the PVC to the cedar with Liquid Nails Extreme Construction adhesive and 2 countersunk Cortex screws every 16”. Countersunk holes were filled with Cortex plugs. Attached the bunks to frame supports with 4 countersunk galvanized carriage bolts held in place with torque washers. Filled countersunk holes (over head of carriage bolt and torque washer) with white epoxy. Just for fun I gave the cedar two coats of tung oil (optional). My 18’ Lowe Roughneck loads and unloads off the Lowe (Yacht Club) trailer almost as easy as my Fisher does on its Shoreland’r roller trailer. Boat freezing to the bunks is never a problem (N. IA). No noticeable bunk deflection under the weight of the boat/motor. The cedar/PVC will last forever and will never damage my aluminum hull plus my hybrid board is considerably cheaper than “Ultimate” bunks.

da grouch likes this.
  5. da grouch

da grouch Senior Refuge Member

^ Have you noticed the boat bouncing or sliding on that set up while down the road?

6. Iammichael6499

Iammichael6499 Senior Refuge Member

No bouncing and no sliding. The bunks and the guide rails are aligned so the boat loads dead center with very little room between the boards and the outside strakes. The transom is secured with “BoatBuckles” that are mounted at the correct angles and the bow eye snugs against the winch stand roller at the proper angle, hence I don’t need a BoatBuckle (or a turnbuckle) on the bow (just the somewhat tight bow safety chain). I relocated the boat’s fuel tank, batteries and other accessories so the boat is balanced in the water (side console/jet outboard) which probably reduces the chance of a bouncing event. Tongue weight is right at 8% (best guess by my rough calcs). I’ve never had the trailer “sway” behind my truck even at 80mph.

da grouch likes this.
  7. dwhauss

dwhauss Senior Refuge Member

I used 2x6 wood full length, then added 3/4 x 4 landscaping border strips on top. The wood supports everything, and the strips make it slippery with no salt water held from carpeting. You can get that landscaping stuff wider than 4 inches, thats just what I had around.
    use stainless screws and run them in until they are below flush,,,,, good to go.

8. tgs

tgs Elite Refuge Member

I did this two seasons ago and it's been great for me. It had carpet before. I had an old truck bed liner laying around and decided to cut it up and make bunk strips. Not the prettiest, but extremely functional and affordable. duckwater boat trailer.jpg

dwhauss likes this.
  9. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I looked at my trailer and this sort of kills me.
    2x8s on the bottom sides
    2x6 on the siderails and center bottom
    It's treated I'm betting..
    If elves were to come and put vinyl on I'd say ho no ho merry Xmas. Sounds spendy
    16322380838702110394866125616963.jpg
    If I see it coming I wd40 my carpet so it dont freeze my boat so bad. It's embarrassing having to ask for a big guy to help push...

Some guy online shamed me into spraying some primer on the old thing. :l

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  10. tgs

tgs Elite Refuge Member

If you can find a bed liner, I think you'd be happy.

Holesinthesky likes this.