Trailer security

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by #1WATERFOWLER, Apr 3, 2021.

1. #1WATERFOWLER

#1WATERFOWLER Senior Refuge Member

According to YouTube any trailer security system can be beaten but what methods and lock brands have you found to be the best?

2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

3. oleww

oleww Elite Refuge Member

A few I’ve done in the past.

Parking a Boat trailer at the ramp, I back it up into the woods so thieves can’t get it.

Parking an RV trailer in a remote area, we used to let the air out of the tires or remove the wheels. Only a deterrent.

and boat with swing or removable tongue, remove it and store somewhere ‘hidden’ in the garage.

4. Okie Fowler

Okie Fowler Senior Refuge Member

It's sad that a person has to go to extremes just to prevent someone from stealing what doesn't belong to them. There shouldn't even be a need to have a conversation like this. Unfortunately, that's world we live in today.

Okay, I'm done venting. Appreciate the ideas/options to secure my wheeled property.

Jamco6000 and creedsduckman like this.
  5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

As in all things theft related, all you can do is make them spend more time, and make more noise.

Anything stopping the wheels from rolling is great, unless they bring a trailer with a winch. Anything on the coupler can either be cut off, smashed off, or simply lift the tongue and chain the coupler to the bumper.

If I am going to be away from the trailer where I am concerned, I run a thick chain over the axle and through the rim. Of course, the chain or lock can be defeated, but it is simple and effective. All my trailers have a coupler lock that covers the ball space on them all the time. Again, can be defeated, but noisy.

If you can make them spend more than 5 minutes defeating the security, they will usually walk away. If they REALLY want it, they will first scout out the target, and plan the attack. Not gonna stop that.

Tuleman and oleww like this.
  6. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

An insurance policy and when I travel I also loop a cable and chain through the wheel and the long tail to deter theft. So far so good.

Fowler267 likes this.
  7. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I use just a tung padlock most days but I have done the steel cable through the wheel and around the trailer frame when on vacation.

I think an electric fence box wired to the frame would surprise most thieves and keep the dogs from wetting your tires?

NWRINGNECK likes this.
  8. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

adirondack46r likes this.
  9. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Depends on what trailer and parked where.
    I get away with crazy stunts in arkansas where most people fear God and then can't leave the same thing unlocked here in Champaign. It sucks and one day I will head just a little bit southwards.
    This one is locked to the truck.
    16190522036768579685977867364469.jpg

10. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Simple to defeat, AB: just steal the truck.
    :l

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021