Trailer security

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by #1WATERFOWLER, Apr 3, 2021.

1. buzzkill

buzzkill Senior Refuge Member

I had a buddy that had his 20' enclosed work trailer stolen from a job site. Inside were about 20K of his tools.He had a fairly expensive tongue lock installed and it was parked in front of the job site in a higher end subdivision. Video from a neighbors security camera showed a newer ford F250 back up to it and within 3 minutes was towing it away. It was found a couple days later just off a little used road about 2 miles away. The doors, which were also locked, appeared to have been opened up with an axe. The tools were all gone, as were the wheels and tires. The tongue lock was still in place and had never been removed. The police said that the perps had likely just chained the trailer to their drop hitch and driven away. Unfortunately, the video wasn't good enough to get a license plate number and no one was was ever charged.

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

That's what I was saying...
    As I said, given time to be alone, almost any method can be defeated. Maybe a squad of marines, on rotating 30 minute shifts, with guns and two hungry dobermans would work. 24/7/365.

Think in terms of minutes. If you are off in the boonies, they might spend more time, but if you are somewhere there is any traffic, or even the possibility of traffic, every minute counts. You want them to take more time, and make more noise. Sometimes you want it obvious, like a hitch lock. Sometimes you want it less obvious, so it surprises them. You are hoping they will give up and quit.

In your friends case, odds are good they knew what was inside the trailer. It was going to take a lot of effort and thought to keep them away. Maybe there is some type of motion alarm that could be hooked up. Not knowing the spot he kept the trailer, coming up with solutions is impossible.

Tuleman likes this.
  3. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

If I had a trailer with 20k of gear in it then I would have a GPS tracker on it.

Empty Skies likes this.
  4. wingsandwater

wingsandwater Senior Refuge Member

Eh....2 bolts and I can have your coupler off and a new one on in just a few minutes. I use an regular ol coupler lock and keep my boat insured. I'm more worried about someone swiping my decoys or spare parts/tool box when I run in to grab a breakfast sandwich.

If safety was a real concern I'd focus on locking the wheels with a boot style lock.

5. Native NV Ducker

6. Clam

Clam Senior Refuge Member

Carry good insurance. I also open and lock the swing tongue. Removing the wheels and lug nuts would probably slow them down.

7. Native NV Ducker

If I appear to be a 'debbie downer' about security, it is just that I am saying if they really want it, they are gonna get it. I learned that with the 'Hole in the wall gang' crime spree back in Vegas.

95% (maybe higher) of the thieves out there are opportunists. 50% would be defeated by a simple hitch lock. 80% would probably be defeated by a hitch lock and some type of wheel lock (cables or clamps) 15% would scout out the trailer, and bring cutters to defeat most normal stuff. You are 'probably' not gonna stop those guys. That last 5% there is simply nothing you can do. Except, yea, the insurance thing.

8. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

You can move the rig somewhere else, like into a locked garage/shop. They can't steal it if they don't know where it is.......
    Out of sight, out of mind and all that sort of thing.

9. Native NV Ducker

I could dispute that, and have seen it happen, but..

If you think having it locked inside makes it 100% safe, cool.

Tuleman likes this.
  10. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Hi I'm an idiot and here's my idiot perspective where my trailer was stolen during lockdown...cop wanted detailed info on "when".
    I told him "during lockdown" and he MADE me explain why I wasn't checking a trailer every day to make sure it's there.
    He was not interested at all about reporting the crime he "made a note of it".

So if I need a forking trailer i know when to steal one and what jurisdiction too.
    Officer Dingle gives no effs.

By the way the Mexicans across the street have a used trailer and car sales thing going.
    Guess who stole my trailer and sold it.
    Cmon man ...duh

There's a Camaro dragster for sale. No engine...$2k