Tried the #5's this morning

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Drake91, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Am I missing something? I thought it looked like most of us were thinking about the same.

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Some people just like to be contrary.

3. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

My first gunsmith (the late L. L. Allen of Florence, Alabama) had a photo album of well over 150 greenheads taken on the Tennessee River in north Alabama back in the 1950’s. Stated he had 30 yards of cordage attached to a wooden stake in front of the blind. He said if the bird was between the stake and blind, it was over. Shot all of them with a Winchester model 42 and #6 lead. He was also an exhibition shooter for Remington as well.

Billy Bob likes this.
  4. Billy Bob

Same thing I do but I normally set 3-5 stakes so I have reference points around the spread. No guessing that way.

JP likes this.
  5. Drake91

Drake91 Elite Refuge Member

You got a point I had no cripples and I didnt have any get away..... I've seen my dad fluff a woodie with 2 shots shooting his #1's cause he just uses that size for everything... I keep telling him to keep them for geese and buy some smaller sizes but hes stubborn... but your right I probably shouldnt judge em that fast

6. magnumyammerhammer

magnumyammerhammer Senior Refuge Member

That's a good dinner right there.
    I haven't tried my steel 5's yet. I was hoping to find a field with some mallards in to give them a try.
    Congrats on the woodrows.

Drake91 likes this.
  7. Billy Bob

Funny how people swear 4's aren't good to 40 yards. Shooting 16ga 1300fps #4 factory loads I killed a wigeon and a greenhead. The greenhead was stone dead outside of the 40 yard marker and the wigeon was farther, the wigeon had a pass though. You guessed it, up the tailpipe and out the breast. Both pretty easy shots even given the range with a total of 3 shells for the day. I don't normally shoot past 30 yards but my friends place doesn't allow for that. He was shooting 2 3/4" 1550fps 1 1/16oz Xperts and had similar results with his 3 birds, also with 4's like he always does. My 1100 16 has a fixed modified and he was using a mobile Choke IM.

JP and Drake91 like this.
  8. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

First 4 hunts of the season I shot my 6+2 limit of mostly BWT using federal 2 3/4" steel #6. Great load, nearly zero follow up shots required. Still have a few spots where GWT and woodies are hiding that the 6's will work great for, but it's about time to start field hunting so I'll bump up to 2's and 1's.

9. ronaldo

ronaldo Senior Refuge Member

2 3/4 inch #6 steel worked on these woodies this morning. It's a small wooded pond and shots are typically close.

Attached Files:

THEIRCOMMITED10 and Drake91 like this.
  10. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I would agree with Bill and the OP...

Smaller shot sizes might have some benefit for the sub-guages, but for the 20 and 12 gauge loads, I would not go smaller than #4's. Plenty of pattern density at closer ranges with #4's and an open choke (no birds are flying through the pattern), and they do not run out of steam at 30 yards...

Yes, you will get more broken wings and head/neck shots with the smaller shot, but you will not get penetration on a well-hit bird with no wing or head shots... And there is significantly more pellets in the meat with the smaller shot sizes....

While I know that many guys like the smaller shot for shorter-range shooting, I do not see any effective advantage to using them? (Except as stated earlier for the sub-gauges).