Trolling motor brand???

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by MeAndMyDawg, Jan 1, 2001.

1. MeAndMyDawg

MeAndMyDawg Guest

I'm looking to buy either a 20? lb or 30? lb trolling motor to push my canoe. I'm wondering which brands y'all recommend and ....which brands y'all DON'T recommend. Any help would be appreciated.
    MAMD

2. Major Woods

Major Woods Elite Refuge Member

I have 3 motors, all Minkota. I use them for duck hunting on 3 diffrent boats from a 10' layout to a 17'john. To say the least I treat my motors hard, so far they have stood up great.

3. TJ

TJ Senior Refuge Member

I would concur w/ Major Wood...

We have used various Minkota's for years in marshes...to and from our blinds on a loaded 16 ft. Lowe Big Jon. More so for the quietness. We have beaten the heck outta of them, and they continue to perform well.

4. Indy-Travis

Indy-Travis Elite Refuge Member

I picked up a 50lb. thrust Minn Kota for my Colman Scanoe this season, it has bee working great.

5. MeAndMyDawg

MeAndMyDawg Guest

Thanx for the help guys....MAMD

6. cgb

cgb Guest

I have been using a 30 lb. Minkota on my 17-ft. canoe with no problems. I cut down the shaft so that it doesn’t stick up so far (shallow water). I painted the top cover o.d. I use a small deep-cycle battery in a plastic battery carrier to keep the weight down. Theoretically we are required to license a canoe if it has any kind of motor on it but I haven’t been bothered so far.