Truck/SUV for Longevity

GulfCoast

Moderate Moderator
Reaction score
@GulfCoast and @Paul Myrdahl, do you have an especially aggressive oil change interval? Think you got lucky? Or that generation of F150s and GMC/Chevy were just better made then models made not too long after?
Every 4K, I switched to synthetic hi-milage at some point. My biggest problem was deer crashing into my truck. Pests.

GulfCoast

Moderate Moderator
Reaction score
Wow.
That's 5 hellish plug-changes worth of miles.
never heard of one going that long.
Well done.

I remember going to "1 piece spark plugs" because the 2 piece ones sucked, per my local shop.

Rolen_Zen

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have 206K miles on my 08 F150 with the 5.4L engine and it's still going strong. I just put new tires on it, so it better hold up. The dealer is regretting the "free oil changes for life" I got when I bought it new. I have it changed every 3K to 4K miles. The biggest repair has been replacing one of the catalytic converters. I did finally get the plugs changed after about 95K miles which wasn't cheap.

BigSkyDuk

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
You won’t feel lag when you “gently” accelerate. It’s only when you “step on it” that the turbo lag really shows itself. All turbo’s have some lag. An extreme example, you’re sitting at a traffic light, idling, and a kid in a Charger next to you wants to race. You oblige and put your foot to the floor, trying to go from low rpms to high rpms. You’ll feel a very distinct hesitation and see the rear end of the Charger pulling away from you. Only after the EcoBoost turbo spools up will you feel a surge of power. The Charger is still going to easily walk away from your EcoBoost (if it’s in an F150) but at least you’re now accelerating at full rpms. My 2014, F150 had a worst than usual problem with hesitation when trying to pass or in any other situation when I needed power immediately.
No doubt a Charger is going to beat a pickup off the line, turbo lag has nothing to do with that!

Sam Ortmann

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
A newer ecoboost F150 with a tune will walk away from a stock charger.
Depends on the charger, the tune, and whether or not the driver can properly launch a rwd car with enough power to smoke the tires.
A stock ecoboost will have few tenths on a a stock 5.7 charger through at least 60mph. I'd bet the charger would catch it in the quarter though cause of the MUCH better power-to-weight ratio and aerodynamics.
It would take a lot of tuning on an ecoboost pickup to get it to walk a stock 6.4 or hellcat charger through 60mph, much less the quarter. And at that point it would probably be be way to hot to tow much at all or run for 200k miles without something blowing up.

buck_master_2001

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Depends on the charger, the tune, and whether or not the driver can properly launch a rwd car with enough power to smoke the tires.
A stock ecoboost will have few tenths on a a stock 5.7 charger through at least 60mph. I'd bet the charger would catch it in the quarter though cause of the MUCH better power-to-weight ratio and aerodynamics.
It would take a lot of tuning on an ecoboost pickup to get it to walk a stock 6.4 or hellcat charger through 60mph, much less the quarter. And at that point it would probably be be way to hot to tow much at all or run for 200k miles without something blowing up.
You would be surprised what a simple tune and e85 will do on those ecoboosts. 0-60 in under 5 seconds easily.

But yes, 1/4 mile the charger will Uber take it. Straight up off the line and to 60-80 or so? A tuned ecoboost f150 is crazy quick. Even the 5.0 tuned on e85 is wicked.

texduk3

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
2002 F-150 5.4 L 146,000
had third set of plugs,
and 3 door lock accuators this summer.
Still running....bought in 2002 new.

2002 F1-50.jpg