Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
2002 F-150 5.4 L 146,000
had third set of plugs,
and 3 door lock accuators this summer.
Still running....bought in 2002 new.

View attachment 330004

“I took the truck less travelled by, and that has made all the difference.”

Seriously though, that’s amazing you have a 20-year old vehicle with fewer than 150,000 miles. Then again, I’m pretty sure my grandfather’s 2003 GMC has barely crossed 100,000. Don’t know that it’s ever left town.

texduk3

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
“I took the truck less travelled by, and that has made all the difference.”

Seriously though, that’s amazing you have a 20-year old vehicle with fewer than 150,000 miles. Then again, I’m pretty sure my grandfather’s 2003 GMC has barely crossed 100,000. Don’t know that it’s ever left town.

Thanks for the kind words,
This truck was/is the family workhorse. Vacations, trips to Texas Motor Speedway, and many hunting trips.
I look at it this way,
Vehicles treat you right, when you treat them right.
(The color Black, is a labor of love, or hate).
I had 2 Ford Ranger pickups, before I bought the F-150.

stevena198301

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
OP, I lost track… did you ever get a vehicle?

AppalachianHollers

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
No, I mentioned it before (but that was many pages ago, now) I’m driving my Subaru into the ground before I buy another vehicle in this market. This thread was to get my mind in the right place for the best-case scenario: the market changes, first. Thankfully the Subaru gets driven little these days; the Sienna on the other hand, gets plenty of miles. But it’s surely not even broken in yet.

For what it’s worth, I came away from this thread settled in my mind on the following makes as possibilities, in the following loose order:

- Toyota (pretty much everything)
- Dodge Ram 1500
- Honda Ridgeline

A supremely random aside about the Dodge Ram: recently I was on a kick watching the documentary series “Narco Wars,” which focused on the origins of cartels in Colombia and Mexico. In an episode with footage from Michoacán, every single vehicle in a cartel army’s convoy was a Dodge Ram pickup…made me wonder if it’s a misfortunate compliment to the vehicle, like terrorists groups’ preferences for Toyota pickups abroad speaking to their durability in harsh conditions…take it for what you will.

da grouch

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Ram 1500 is the cheapest way into a truck, cartels use them as does our govt for said reasons. I have driven them up to 60,000mi trade in and would never own one for the long haul. Ridgeline would work for you. Me (however) if I am buying a lifetime vehicle it will always be a 1ton work truck(trim). It will bounce, rattle your teeth and keep going until you are done driving. The fuel consumption and robustness of parts will negate any maintenance/replacement of parts from anything less.

Aunt Betty

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
All you gotta do is figure out how to not drive that truck daily and wear it out fast.
I do chit like ...it never moves until duck season.
That's how you get a twenty year-old pickup that runs.
Don't drive it. :)

honga

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
My 2003 F-250 Super Duty 5.4 liter has 177,000 miles on it. Still runs like a top and has been a great vehicle but the reality is that it ain't going to last forever. Looking at new and used trucks and just can't believe how over priced they are...I am going to drive mine until it dies.

Missy Skeeter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I bought this 1993 F150 4X4 new for $16,400 when I moved from Idaho to Alaska.
IMG_20210831_105445.jpg
302 engine, 200k on the engine, replaced the clutch
4 Things I did not like:
1) Bench seat (I'm 6' 4" so if I need a break and a shorter person drives, I am crunched
2) Manual hubs...have to get out to lock them for four-wheel drive
3) No air conditioning little did I know it gets in the 80s in the summer time in interior Alaska.
4) The clutch slave cylinder would rupture if used colder than -30F
Winter's are too cold here for salt to be effective, so there is typically no rust on vehicles (we get a total of 12 inches of precip per year)