Trump Administration moves to ban flavored e-cigarettes>

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by pintail2222, Sep 12, 2019 at 10:20 AM.

1. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

If the Federal Government wants to 'tax' e-cigarettes due to nicotine - that's their right to do so - but as for "banning flavors" in the name of the "children" - KEEP THE FRICKIN' FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OUT OF IT!!! :mad:

I believe that's a States Right. Not the responsibility or roll of the Federal Government. :fp

It's an over reach by the Trump Administration and more proof that Trump is a moderate.

President Donald Trump said Wednesday that the US Food and Drug Administration would be putting out "some very strong recommendations" regarding the use of flavored e-cigarettes in "a couple of weeks."

Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar, seated in the Oval Office with the President, first lady Melania Trump and the acting commissioner of the FDA, announced that newly proposed enforcement policy would require flavored e-cigarette companies to take their products off the market.

"It'll take several weeks for us to put out the final guidance that will announce all the parameters around the enforcement policy, and then there will likely be about a 30-day delay to effective date, as is customary," Azar said. But "at that point all flavored e-cigarettes other than tobacco flavor would have to be removed from the market."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/11/politics/donald-trump-vape-e-cigarette-flavors/index.html

2. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Will they also be removing menthol cigarettes from production?

Trump is on the wrong side, on this. States issue.

pintail2222 likes this.
  3. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

It sounds as if they are banning "candy flavors". Not sure if menthol is included.

4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

The flavor matters not (to me). Unhealthy diets kill more than 670K a year, and companies are targeting children every day with unhealthy snacks. Hell, they throw superheroes and fairy princesses on the packaging just so kids will throw a fit wanting them. Yet no one is shouting from the rooftops about banning candy. I don't see a difference. Again, this is all just personal opinion.

As a smoker, I feel strongly tobacco should be banned nationwide (yes, I said it). It is a nasty habit. But it has nothing on the lives lost to poor diet choices, and we see commercials daily advertising junk food. These folks is losing their ever-loving mind over 5 deaths that they can't even trace back to a source at this time (whether it's legitimate vaping products causing it, or counterfeit products).

pointblind and widgeon like this.
  5. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

It's an easy, feel good thing to do.

6. DComeaux

DComeaux Senior Refuge Member

7. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator

Yep, I re-read my Constitution booklet and couldn't find any mention of smoking (pro or con). Unless someone cooks up another amendment, sure seems like a 10th covered thing to me.

pintail2222 likes this.
  8. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

Quite a bit of tobacco production, export, and use when the constitution was drafted and adopted. Pretty sure if they wanted this controlled at a federal level they would have put it in there.

But when has that ever stopped the federal government before? If it's made in one state (or out of the country) and shipped to another state, the magic interstate commerce clause lets them exert control.

9. pointblind

pointblind Elite Refuge Member

The products likely hurting people are cheap "black market" products. Governments solution: create a more robust black market by banning the otherwise legal substance. Bravo you effing morons

(Not to mention the Fed Gov has zero authority to ban anything)

10. pointblind

pointblind Elite Refuge Member

Smoking, sugar, vegetable oils, corn syrup.... all these are equivalent in the fact they will kill you slowly.

It pisses me off to no end that my tax dollars pay to subsidize all the poisons.