TSS / hw15 delayed death or sailing question

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Jim Atlas, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Dr Swane

Dr Swane Senior Refuge Member

I changed my front optic to a Triangle Hi-Viz on my Franchi (I’m always messing with my guns for various reasons) last season, and had to relearn how that gun shoots for me, it changed the Visual for me how I pick up targets with that gun.

I had a Burris Fast Fire 3 on an A400 years back. I thought maybe I can train myself to use that (again for various reason and curiosity, thought maybe it would make a learning option for target recognition for newer shooters too, and able to demonstrate..). I tried for years, but finally took it off, I shoot the a400 much better now.

OU’s SxS with barrels that don’t print the same, the list goes on

2. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Senior Refuge Member

That sounds like a challenge! LOL

Here is some very useful information from KPY Shotshell Ballistics.:no

1700 fps steel T shot at 85.6 yards gets 1.80" of gel penetration, has 5.79 lbs. energy and is going 559 fps with about 65 pellets in 1-1/4 oz.
    1300 fps TSS #6 shot at 85.6 yards gets 2.54" of gel penetration, has 2.36 lbs. energy and is going 579 fps with about 171 pellets in 1-1/4 oz.

I think the TSS #6 shot load will pattern better at 85.6 yards than the steel T shot load!o_O

3. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

I will shoot one @85 next Monday (be out of the eye surgery restriction time period by then) with the SP10 & .720 Terror Tube.

Tuleman and Dr Swane like this.
  4. magnumyammerhammer

magnumyammerhammer Senior Refuge Member

I shot a blue goose about 40 yards high the other day. Hit him little far back with bismuth #2's and it took him 150 yards to give up. Dog got him. Don't make any difference what you hit them with if it's in the *** end. For the most part they are not going to come down real quick.
    I don't know much about TSS, But if you're shooting at extended ranges, with fine shot, how do you keep enough pellets in the pattern to ensure enough hits to cleanly kill big birds like Canada geese?

5. Jim Atlas

Jim Atlas Senior Refuge Member

You start with more pellets, and choke as needed.
    Though, my intention is to make light recoil loads for a boy.

magnumyammerhammer likes this.
  6. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I got it and thats why I came here to the refuge was to beg for info and maybe pester a reloaded enough to help me out.
    I shoot well. Not perfect but good enough to kill a duck. A friend of mine kills everything with tss #9 out of a 410. Geese too

7. magnumyammerhammer

magnumyammerhammer Senior Refuge Member

Might be a good starter load for a boy for closer ranges. A more open choke and lots of pellets so as to make hitting birds easier. That would be a big confidence boost. Best of luck with that.

Jim Atlas likes this.
  8. Jim Atlas

Jim Atlas Senior Refuge Member

My thoughts too. I also know he's leary of the kick, so I'm hoping to avoid ruining it for him.

magnumyammerhammer likes this.
  9. Close Shot

Close Shot Senior Refuge Member

This guy has a good system of multiple shots at a pattern board. It takes a few minutes to get to it but his strategy makes sense to me.

Dr Swane likes this.