TSS/HW15

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Billy Bob, Oct 8, 2019 at 10:28 PM.

1. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

If my numbers are correct 1/2oz of TSS 9's has 191 pellets which should keep the pattern dense enough even for medium ducks at longer ranges than I normally shoot and make a decent combination load. I think I will start there. I'm going to take this slow but I think it's time to look for a .410 press. If the price is right I will probably forget about the bismuth shells I bought this year @ $1.40 per shell by the time I paid tax.

Thank you everyone for all of the help and info.

2. PaulinKansas

PaulinKansas Elite Refuge Member

If you want an ounce of #10 TSS, I can send you some. You can pattern a few shells and decide if you want to buy several pounds.

callinfowl and Dave in AZ like this.
  3. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

BillyBob, it sounds like you have the PERFECT GUN for low recoil! That heavy gun is great, the 1100 already is a soft recoiler, and the .410 payload delivery vehicle is good for these light loads. Listen to Hammernhonkers, he has huge experience with this stuff and his field reports are super valuable, and I rely on his comments myself for sizing choices. If you can hit the goose's head then tss 9s would work as a combo load, I think of them like #BB steel for penetration.

As far as getting the stuff to spread out, take a look at bullet225ho's post back there, he has a great load and his pattern shows that by adding that top steel he got a nicely spreading pattern. It is an issue with tss, I can't think how you'd ever fit an x spreader into a 410 wad though.

4. hamernhonkers

hamernhonkers Senior Refuge Member

Dave,

You can use scissors to cut the x spreader down. It works in 28 anyway lol so i think it would work in 410 too??

Ok I'll have to try it. Looks like an order coming from bpi soon unless someone has already tried it and wants to save me the trouble lol.

5. bustsducks

bustsducks Elite Refuge Member

Billy Bob
    As much as you like tinkering with decoys and waterfowling stuff. You most likely will enjoy loading shells. The two go hand in hand. When i'm loading i'm thinking about the birds on the wrong side of the barrel. You're not going to save a bunch of money but you are going to ad a different aspect to the sport you love. You've got some good advice above jump in with both feet.

I've bought TSS from Hal and Toasty and they were a pleasure to deal with.

Dave in AZ likes this.
  6. skiebuster

skiebuster Elite Refuge Member

without a doubt! Tommy has the best loads out there for performance and patterns. Several companies use and or started with his loads for turkey hunting.