TSS Shot

Ravenanme

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I always smile when I read post like these ! TSS is for killing beyond normal distances ! You pay for that privilege IF you can shoot straight ?
I admire those who pay for this right but I also have killed a lot of birds with the ammo I load that cost less ! There's that old saying , to be a
Waterfowler , you need to setup a good spread , be the best caller in the area and hide like those birds are hunting you ! Haha
Are you a hunter or a shooter ?

kjb25

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always smile when I read post like these ! TSS is for killing beyond normal distances ! You pay for that privilege IF you can shoot straight ?
I admire those who pay for this right but I also have killed a lot of birds with the ammo I load that cost less ! There's that old saying , to be a
Waterfowler , you need to setup a good spread , be the best caller in the area and hide like those birds are hunting you ! Haha
Are you a hunter or a shooter ?

I'm not advocating long distance shooting, butt to think that we all hunt under ideal conditions is incorrect.
Some of us only get out a few times a year, a lot of the places we hunt, you don't get the option to get close to the birds or have the option of setting up a good spread.
Personally, I'll take any advantage i can get when it comes to killing humanely. I've personally never shot anything with tss. But if i could i would. No I'm not the best shot, Seldom miss, but to increase the odds, there's nothing wrong with that.
I'm sure you don't mean your post to sound like "if you use tss you're not good enough". It kind of came across like that to me though.
(Flame protection on)

Ravenanme

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I'm not advocating long distance shooting, butt to think that we all hunt under ideal conditions is incorrect.
Some of us only get out a few times a year, a lot of the places we hunt, you don't get the option to get close to the birds or have the option of setting up a good spread.
Personally, I'll take any advantage i can get when it comes to killing humanely. I've personally never shot anything with tss. But if i could i would. No I'm not the best shot, Seldom miss, but to increase the odds, there's nothing wrong with that.
I'm sure you don't mean your post to sound like "if you use tss you're not good enough". It kind of came across like that to me though.
(Flame protection on)
Absolutely Not ! But I will say , if you have the ability to shoot beyond 50 yds at a flying target , along with the financial resources to buy TSS ,
then tell me where you'll be hunting as I don't want to be around there ! Those who only hunt a half dozen times a year and don't have the
experience of shooting beyond 50 yds , need not waste their money , TSS isn't any better than Steel Shot with the right load and pellet size !
Today's hunters are being marketed with BS , as , very few can out shoot the performance of a properly size Steel Shot load !
Like the old saying goes , 90 percent of the success hunting is from 10 percent of those who understand Shotshell Ballistics !
Also , those who are REAL Hunters !

JFG

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Those last 3 sentence's could be Rav’s bio …:reader;)

Carry on Larry …..:tu

oskar

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I have to agree with RAV, if you feel that you need TSS shot to kill ducks you need to learn to hunt ducks. I hunt nothing but public lands and there are lots of places that aren't filled with skybusters that the birds will still work the decoys. I will say that I have limited experience only hunting long term in WI(25yrs), MN(12yrs), WA(22yrs) and NM(3yrs and counting) plus a stint in Taiwan (great duck hunting when I was there). My goto load now is 7/8oz of ITX 6.s and 1oz of Bismuth 5''s only because my shotgun has 2.5" chambers and is 82 yrs old.

Yes, I'm old enough to have shot a lot of ducks with lead and had no problems switching to steel and when I got into old shotguns they work fine with light loads of soft non-toxic.

Not spectacular but a fun day for my first hunt in this area.
49KvR6.jpg

Last edited: