TSS Shot

tengoose1

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Exactly why I haven't responded to this thread it turned into a $h!t$how in less than 5 posts. He wasn't looking for why how he should or shouldn't be using it. Buy it from hal he will give you load data Prairie wind has it also I believe.

Ravenanme

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
So anyone that shoots HTL is a skybuster? Where do you come up with this stuff?

We had a lot of shots last week at 20-30 yards, with a 30mph crosswind. The guys shooting steel were having a heck of time. I was crushing them with #9 TSS.
If you were paying attention and not trying to show , how foolish you were for shooting 18 g/cc at 20/30 yds , you'd know #9's had more
than double the pellet count in what you were shooting ? At that yardage your friends must of been poor shots and you were just lucky with
your's ! If you would look-up the pellet count for Steel Pellets that would be good at that distance , you would see , even # 5's would be
adequate so , you need to educate yourself ? At $3.50 to $4.00 a pop for TSS .

Ravenanme

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
As I'm not saying HTL isn't useful in certain situations / weather conditions along with Birds sizes , that isn't my point !
The importance of a shooters ability to benefit from it , is the issue ! If you have trouble hitting birds 40 yds and closer
with steel shot or even Bismuth , don't think you're king Kong of the marsh with spending $4.00 per/shell !
Good shooters can kill limits with properly sized Steel shot too !

Randy

Senior Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tss questions. Friend says his organization is using them. Not for hunting waterfowl. The question I have is how far would they be effective. Claims to be effective out to 200 yard..... # 9 shot size. I will have to see to belive. I don't believe it will "dimple " cardboard at that distance... Thoughts....

tengoose1

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Go to pw decoys they have some numbers for you do search here derbyacresbob has posted numerous penetration numbers and has discussed went into detail on different sizes and effectiveness of it. Hal has many duplex loads with 1/4 oz to 120 grains of tss and steel. Those loads with 9.5 with proper pattern testing will get you out to 40 45 yards dead ducks all day.

Ruggedsportsmen

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Most of my TSS and denser than lead loads are for killing and breaking down or stopping coyotes. I can't legally shoot lead loads at coyotes and steel shot would be to much of a disadvantage to use on coyotes. Most of the coyotes I shoot with a shotgun are at 40 yards away or closer and TSS #3 and #4 shot will cleanly kill 25 to 35 pound coyotes at over 60 yards away.

From what I have seen you need 3.70" of 20% gel penetration to reliable kill or sreak down Coyotes. From KPY Shotshell Balistics.
1500 fps steel BBB shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 18.9 yards with about 76 pellets in 1-1/4 oz.
1300 fps TSS #4 shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 78.9 yards with about 104 pellets in 1-1/4 oz.

When we traveled over 300 miles one way, to hunt geese with a guide once or twice a year I always shot 12g/cc shot or 15g/cc shot. Sometimes we didn't get to do much shooting so I wanted to use loads that would cleanly kill geese going straight up at 40 yards away. When I don't get many chances to shoot I want to use loads that will cleanly kill birds farther away than steel shot will. Many times the shot angle is not perfect and you can't see the head or neck so I want loads that will out penetrate steel shot by quite a bit.

Most of the geese were 25 yards away or less when our guide would yell takem. But they would turn away very quickly and with 12g/cc and 15g/cc shot we could cleanly kill geese with loads that 1500 fps steel BB loads won't kill reliable.

1500 fps steel BB shot gets 2.20" of gel penetration at 48.2 yards with about 89 pellets in 1-1/4 oz.
1300 fps FHW 15g/cc #5 shot gets 2.20" of gel penetration at 78.8 yards with about 145 pellets in 1-1/8 oz.

Not every shotgun hunter has great places to hunt and get's to shoot lots of ammo every season at ducks and geese that are in short range at perfect angles.
Anyway you can run those coyote numbers on #7 TSS? I always see some run by the field I’m hunting in and wondered how far I could knock one down with my #7 loads.

JRS

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I’d say about 35 yards…

Waiting for KPY’s answer

JRS

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
For the skeptics- 1/2 ounce of assorted dust (8,9,9 1/2, 10 1/2) from a .410 at 39 yards paced, late season bird DRT. For guys that do the ballistics work, TSS is the answer.
27737D2E-FDE8-4B23-B1DC-5F3E7033B2F1.png

Lastflight

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
If you were paying attention and not trying to show , how foolish you were for shooting 18 g/cc at 20/30 yds , you'd know #9's had more
than double the pellet count in what you were shooting ? At that yardage your friends must of been poor shots and you were just lucky with
your's ! If you would look-up the pellet count for Steel Pellets that would be good at that distance , you would see , even # 5's would be
adequate so , you need to educate yourself ? At $3.50 to $4.00 a pop for TSS .
LOL, you need to learn to read.

C M Wings

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I’d say about 35 yards…

Waiting for KPY’s answer
7s? I’d say twice that. Bob will provide the right answer. But that’s my guess. I know 5s will do it dry at 70.