TSS Shot

RPC1977

Reaction score
That's the Question (Ethically) ? When a hunter starts shooting beyond his or hers ability it effects all sportsmen . I don't condemn those
who have proven to themselves to be proficient at beyond the decoys but when decoying hunters have to compete with those that are not ?
The sport of Waterfowling isn't a long range contest but some are just , shooters ! What are you ? I enjoy working birds to commit to my
decoys so , when some lazy sucker with ammo that's far better than his/hers ability starts shooting at 50 yds plus (Especially) at large race geese ,
shows how stupid they really are ! Jmho
Shooter ability waivers far too often for it to be the basis of a generally applicable ethical argument. My shotshells, my gun and yours as well have more potential than the abilities of you, me or Digweed combined. Unable shooters typically miss completely on long shots regardless of their equipment. Unless ducks are dying from anxiety, they're shooting MY swing ducks, or you believe disturbing wildlife in a nonlethal manner is unethical, how is this a breach of ethics? I find it most unethical when a capable shooter uses inferior equipment. Hard to imagine how many ducks have likely been crippled or lost by capable shooters pushing their equipment beyond its limitations.

derbyacresbob

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Anyway you can run those coyote numbers on #7 TSS? I always see some run by the field I’m hunting in and wondered how far I could knock one down with my #7 loads.
From KPY Shotshell Ballistics
1400 fps TSS #7 shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 35.9 yards and each pellet has 4.01 lbs of energy at 35.9 yards.
1400 fps TSS #4 shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 85.2 yards and each pellet has 5.22 lbs of energy at 85.2 yards.

If you head shoot the coyotes you could probable kill them at 45 yards with the TSS #7 shot.

The TSS #4 shot pellets have 30.17% more energy 49.3 yards farther away "85.2 yards" than the TSS #7 shot has at 35.9 yards away.

JRS

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
From KPY Shotshell Ballistics
1400 fps TSS #7 shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 35.9 yards and each pellet has 4.01 lbs of energy at 35.9 yards.
1400 fps TSS #4 shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 85.2 yards and each pellet has 5.22 lbs of energy at 85.2 yards.

If you head shoot the coyotes you could probable kill them at 45 yards with the TSS #7 shot.

The TSS #4 shot pellets have 30.17% more energy 49.3 yards farther away "85.2 yards" than the TSS #7 shot has at 35.9 yards away.
I’ve been paying attention in class.

Reactions: JP

Neighbor Guy

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have seen tss 8’s kill a walking coyote at 35yds.

I would have to figure 7’s could easily do anything inside 40.

But that’s real world experience. I’m sure your computer program might say otherwise.

C M Wings

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score

But that’s real world experience. I’m sure your computer program might say otherwise.
Shot right through one at 70 with 5s. Big difference than 7s but right through. I’d assume 7s would get in but not out.

JRS

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
15 feet is nothing more than a follow up shot. Down and out are two different things unless you’re a panhandler.

derbyacresbob

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score

I used my real world experiemce of seeing hundreds of coyotes being shot with shotgun loads to come up with the 3.70" of 20% gel penertaion for coyotes.

There are lots of different shotgun loads that can kill coyotes when the shot angle is perfect for hitting them in the head, neck and ribs. A big percentage of these loads are not good coyote hunting loads.

Most of the loads that give 3.70" of gel penetration can break down and drop coyotes that are running straight away from the shooter. I prefer to use shot sizes and types on coyotes that will give me that 3.70" of 20% gel penetration at least 10 yards past where I plan on shooting at coyotes.

I don't want to use smaller than TSS #4 shot because 1-1/4 oz of TSS #4 shot gives me about 104 pellets per shell and that is plenty of pellets for shooting coyotes.

1400 fps TSS #4 shot gives 3.70" of penetration at 85.2 yards so at 70 yards and under TSS #4 shot works great on coyotes. Most of the coyotes I shoot are at under 50 yards away.

Coyotes are way harder to put down and stop than big honkers are. You can break two legs on a coyote and it will still run off.

In the below video the second coyote was hit with a crossbow bolt and it took off running very fast. I dropped the coyote with my second shot right at 68 yards away. WE ranged him laying dead at 73 yards away. I shot behind it on my forst shot and doubled my lead and hit it on my second shot. This coyote was shot with 1-1/2 oz of TSS #3 shot.

JP

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Like within our hunting society Bigger is better and so what if , you need more fire-power to getter the job done ?
I'm not complaining for what some hunters use , I'm just amazed at those who fall into the marketing trap !
We can all see how this movement has progressed , 30/30's worked for many years with their Buckhorn sights . Then came along the BS of
killing a animal as far as you could spot it ! I'm not saying this equipment can't do it , I'm saying , isn't this taking advantage of the sport
we love ? There's always going be hunters who educate themselves ballistically , practice long range shooting on a clay course that can
benefit their success using HTL shot , like Big game hunters but WHY be so lazy and not either get them in closer or spend the extra steps
getting closer to the target ?
If every hunter hunted this way with Long-range gear , how long would it be before the sport would be gone ?
The .30-30 replaced the nuzzle loader which replaced the recurve bow which replaced the spear which replaced running the quarry off cliffs.

It’s called progress.

JP

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
That's the Question (Ethically) ? When a hunter starts shooting beyond his or hers ability it effects all sportsmen . I don't condemn those
who have proven to themselves to be proficient at beyond the decoys but when decoying hunters have to compete with those that are not ?
The sport of Waterfowling isn't a long range contest but some are just , shooters ! What are you ? I enjoy working birds to commit to my
decoys so , when some lazy sucker with ammo that's far better than his/hers ability starts shooting at 50 yds plus (Especially) at large race geese ,
shows how stupid they really are ! Jmho
If it helps soothe your sensibilities, I no longer throw the spear beyond 30 yards at any Wooly Mammoths.

Ravenanme

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
If it helps soothe your sensibilities, I no longer throw the spear beyond 30 yards at any Wooly Mammoths.
Haha you made your point but just to draw some attention to those who can't control themselves ( you know who you are ) spend more
time practicing your shooting , better yet , let'em work ! You'll get there someday !